Chap. 12: Mario's POV

Hmph, predictable...

I had just arrived at Peach's castle, and it didn't look like anyone was here. But the castle did bring about some memories.

I remember when... Wait! I didn't remember anything about it at all!

What is happening to me?

I went inside the castle and checked every room, including the ceiling and found no one. I double checked and the results were the same.

Must've already left...

I went back outside and sat down on the grass, waiting for them to return because I knew they were still here; I could sense their presence. But where were they? I could sense them, but I could not see them...

"Mario, what are you doing?" the voice of my friend said from behind, causing me to jump a little.

"What?!" I exclaimed. "What are you doing? You're supposed to be keeping watch at the Jungle city."

"Well, I was, until I heard your stress calling to me," he said to me. "I do not see why you are so stressed. Why not just go after them? You know where they are, or at least, where she is."

"No, I do not," I responded, annoyed that he would think I knew for sure where any of them were.

"You know you do. You said you could sense them, did you not?"

"Uh, yeah, but—"

"And didn't you say that you knew that they were still here?"

"Well, not for sure."

"Well, let me save you the headache: they are indeed still here, but they won't be back for a while. The males went off to find food, and she's out in the woods, looking for them."

"And, what do you want me to do about that?"

"I want you listen! You stay here and wait for the males to get back. Stay hidden, watch them, and above all, don't try to get them on board. They've already been turned against you, and won't want to hear your logic. If possible, see if you can sneak to its sleeping quarters, end it quickly, and get out before anyone notices you were there."

"And what about you?"

"I'll go after Peach myself. I'll bring her here, and we'll use her to make the males come quicker if they hadn't already arrived."

"You mean to use her as ransom?"

"Something like that, yes."

"Ok, then. Only because it's for the greater good."

"Good. Now I'll go find her. Remember what I told you."

I nodded my head as he ran into the forest.

For once, I didn't feel like killing the little monster. I wanted it to live, I wanted to forgive Peach and Bowser for what they did, and I wanted to leave. But if I left, he would find me. If I just changed my mind, he would hurt me—whether knife or noose—and make me cry for my life. If I chose the wrong side...