(hotel) motel (holiday inn)

i. chapter one

'i still can't believe you traded in the porsche for a minivan'
'this, we can all fit in'
'i like the van'
'were not actually staying here, are we?'
'you know, there's probably a nicer place down the road'
'were being hunted by sociopaths, nicer places draw attention'
'yeah well they also make it easier to sleep'
'one road in, same road out. only one point of access we have to watch. and also... it's quiet. trouble comes our way, we should hear it first. and who said anything about sleeping?'

The sound of the engine switching off brought her attention back to where she sat. A cold motel reception. The walls were dark yellow, not that you would be able to tell, for almost every inch of the box room was covered in something, be it a picture frame, a clock, a flyer, the list goes on. The entirety of the office was littered with small mementoes that had been collected from over the years, each piece had some sort of memory attached to it, prompting her to keep them close to her. The inside of the office was a vast contrast from the outside as if you had entered a whole different world when you entered. Her world. She couldn't do much for the motel, for when she acquired it, it was beyond repair, but where she could, she did her utmost.

She settled back into her surroundings just in time for the door to swing open, causing the bell to ring, put there to alert her of any last minute visitors. A small but comforting smile graced her lips as she looked to the four guests, her eyes taking in each of their appearances. 

"Good afternoon, how may I help you?" 

Preparing to rise from the small stool she sat on, her eyes landed on Dick, as he stepped closer to the desk.

"Afternoon" He returned the greeting, nodding his head as he wore a wary but polite smile. "I was wondering if you had four rooms available? As close to each other as possible, preferably."

Swinging her legs, her stool twisted around till she faced the rows of hooks that held the room keys. Most of them were full, holding a key and a tag, some covered in a layer of dust, as though they had not been moved in a long time. Recalling the rooms in her mind, she grabbed the keys that corresponded to the hallway of 'nicer' set of rooms (or as nice as you would find in a motel of its current state).

Returning to her place at the desk, she laid the keys down and pushed them towards Dick. "Four rooms, all close to each other." 

"Glad you had availability, is it usually this quiet?" He asked, picking up the keys and pocketing them.

"Yeah, it's not exactly a place you pass through, you know, one way in, one way out..." She leant forward and placed her hands on the desk for support.

Behind him, the three were otherwise occupied. Kory had stepped outside, taking in their location for the night, whilst Rachel and Gar remained inside but distracted by the decorations around the office. The former smiling slightly whilst her hands grazed a broach in the shape of a bee that was sat upon an old cabinet, as though she was recalling an old memory.

Dick nodded his head in reply, pausing as a thought passed through his mind. "Yes, I guess so."  

"And, you know, it's not the more picturesque spots" She leant forward further, and tilted her head slightly, looking at a spot on her desk. "After all, nicer places draw attention." Her eyes flicked back to his face, watching his reaction with a small smirk.

Dick stepped back, squinting his eyes ever so slightly and paused, as though he didn't know how to respond. He swallowed. 

"Right." He muttered. Once he composed himself, he looked back up and spoke once more. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." She watched with a smile as Dick retreated, the two returning their attention to Dick and following him out the door. Before they had exited completely, she called out to them. "Enjoy your stay." Dick didn't respond, but Gar flashed a toothy grin through the window and waved. Only once they had passed the last window and until she could no longer see them did she return to her seat, gazing softly at a postcard on the wall.

a/n - 05/02/2019

Ahhhhh the first chapter is done!!!!!

I think I will make the chapters about this length (800 words) or longer, it's quite a nice length!

I hope you guys enjoy the first chapter! I haven't written anything like this in so long so feedback is greatly appreciated! I am going to check each chapter as I go to make sure there aren't any big mistakes but if I miss anything please let me know! once I finish writing the first series ill go back over and maybe rewrite or just edit some scenes!

see you in the next chapter!!!!!!

(gif is from GIPHY)