dust in the wind

xv. chapter fifteen

previously

"Who was that?" Jason asked. Dick's back was to them and he continued to stare forwards, taking his time to comprehend what he had just heard. 

"I killed his father." Dick spoke abruptly before stalking off. Sandy looked to Jason in confusion, wondering if she had heard him correctly. 

Sandy knew little of Dick's past as she had avoided prying. He had struck her as an interesting figure from the moment he stepped into the motel; the fact that he had been accompanied by three brightly coloured hair bodies (who all in their own rights looked very conspicuous) and was being followed by family of android assassins had not helped to diminish this. It seemed every time something new was revealed, his life made less and less sense and Sandy felt herself feeling more and more sorry for the boy. 

"The guy who killed your parents?" Jason called after him and he and Sandy jogged to catch up with him. "That's a win either way you look at it. One less scumbag off the face of the planet."

Sandy saw a noticeable difference between the two robins, clearly despite their upbringing with Bruce Wayne, they both had their own pasts that effected their outlook on life in different ways. But Dick's words of his upbringing with Bruce clearly cemented itself with Jason, so maybe there weren't as many differences as Sandy thought.

The ringing of Dick's phone cut the tension and he pulled it from his pocket, the bright light illuminating his troubled features. It didn't seem possible, but his face seemed to fall even more as he stared at his phone, audibly sighing. Jason and Sandy watched him, not wanting to intrude. From the angle of his phone they could see he had received a message with a picture, its contents not clear to them. Dick quickly typed something back on his phone and waited for a reply. 

After a few seconds his phone buzzed again in his hands. Reading the last message over a few times, Dick locked his phone and quickly put it back in his pocket. He span around to face the other two to announce his exit. 

"I gotta go." He started walking as soon as the words left his mouth.

"Where?" Jason's words stopped him. Dick turned back to see that Jason had made his way to follow him. He stared back at them, letting the gravity of the situation set in. Dick had been trying for too long to get away from his past life, from Robin, but he knew something had been holding him back and he had loose ends that needed to be tied.

"I gotta do this. By myself." His eyes met Sandy's. Dick began to speak but stopped himself. He knew there was no need. Instead he nodded his head at her, seeing her stare back. She soon gave him a gentle and understanding smile, nodding back at him. He gave her one last smile before trekking off. Both Sandy and Jason watched him walk away having almost exact opposite thoughts on their minds. Sandy watched Dick walked off with a smile, even though she very aware that this was potentially her last time seeing him. She was very grateful for the time she had spent with him, even though it had been brief. Over her time away from the motel she realised she had missed so much by isolating herself away from the world, something she had never intended to do. Only now was it dawning on her that she would have to go back, causing her soft smile to falter. The many many years she had lived in the motel had provided her with great solitude and happiness, but now the thought of the seclusion made her feel empty.

Jason, on the other hand, was pissed. He had helped Dick find this Clay guy, he'd come all the way here, he'd just came out of a freaking explosion! There was no way he was going back to Gotham now, not when he knew there was unfinished business, whether it was his or not. Once Dick had disappeared from his sight he backed up and started scanning the area. He needed a ride. 

They were still surrounded by the crowds of people who had vacated the bar with them making it harder for Jason to see unoccupied cars. Sandy was lost in thought about leaving, her eyes were fixed on where Dick had been standing a few moments ago. Bringing her out of her daze, she felt a tap on her right shoulder and saw Jason walking in the corner of her vision. Sandy whipped her head around and saw Jason weaving his way through the different crowds of people. Remembering her incident early in the bar, she moved quickly to catch up with him, not wanting history to repeat itself. Once she reached him she lent forward to grab his arm, both signally her presence but also ensuring she would be lost again. Jason reacted to the touch and turned to face her, sliding his arm from her grip and grabbing her hand instead so he pull her through the crowd. 

The majority of people had swarmed in the center of the road, not having to worry about incoming cars due to the ambulances and police cars that had arrived and virtually blocked off the road. They made their way onto the sidewalk where Jason could get a much better look at the vehicles parked up, their owners only metres away, one of whom was about to be extremely unlucky.

Sandy hadn't caught on to Jason's plan yet, asking him where they were going.

"To save Dick." He replied simply, his eyes wandering over the lined up cars. If he was stealing a car, he was stealing a nice one. 

Her response was about to be 'but Dick said he had to go alone', but seeing where Jason was leading her, she became suspicious of his actions. She watched him for a moment longer before she intervening.

"We're not stealing a car." She said abruptly, stopping in her tracks and making Jason loose her grip. 

He turned back to her and paused. "...Did you just read my mind?" He said cockily. She stared back at him, not having a good answer. 

"...We're not stealing a car." She affirmed. Jason lazily smiled at her, spinning around on one foot and continuing with his car search. Sandy was getting frustrated, she huffed and stormed after him, moving in front and blocking his path. "I'm serious, we can't just steal someone's car, Jason." 

Jason chuckled at her poor effort to stop him. Amid his laughter, he spotted something just over her shoulder causing him to pause. "You right," He smiled whilst biting his lip, trying to stop himself from grinning too wide. "We're not gonna steal a car." His response, appearing finished to Sandy, made her sign in relief. "... We're gonna steal a motorcycle." 

a/n (24/10/19)

hi!! sorry this one took so long! 

thank you to everyone who commented on my last update, im going to keep writing for season one and then edit so anyone reading this please keep in mind this is all unedited so if you fancy it make sure to check back in once its all done, hopefully it will be a lot better!

i keep trying to include little like 'touchy' bits with sandy bc in my mind i was like 'oh well shes been alone for so long shes probably touch starved of like any affection' but im worried its just making it seem very forward and like its all going too fast?? pls let me know if it sounds too much bc its WAY too early for that

also does anyone know when season two will be on netflix bc i keep trying to avoid spoilers and but its so hard