personal jesus

xii. chapter twelve

previously

On their way out, Sandy quickly leaned around the wall to look at the remaining three. "It was nice to see you all again!" She yelled before she was pulled into the elevator and the doors shut in front of her.

Day turned to night as the three headed on another long drive to find an 'old friend' of Dick's. He had briefly explained their relationship, but clearly still wanted to keep some of his life private. Sandy was beginning to get used to the world outside of the motel so road trips were becoming less entertaining, especially when the other members consisted of a loud, talkative boy and a less interested, brooding man. 

After what felt like an eternity, Dick pulled up to the side of the road and turned off the car. They all got out of the car and shut the doors, Sandy taking the opportunity to stretch, thankful that she could finally move about. She noticed the neon lights that decorated the street, each one signalling a different building. 

"This place is called Corvo, it's some kind of speakeasy. Landlord said he bounces the late shift." Dick began walking away from the car and down the street with Jason and Sandy in tow. 

"That's too bad. Bouncers are assholes." Jason answered, causing Dick to get defensive. 

"Clay's not. And how would you know anyway?" Jason began to explain about his uncle as Sandy lazily listened to their conversation. Their voices melted away and blended with the sounds of nightlife around them. Sandy felt at peace despite not knowing where they were heading, the term 'speakeasy' meant nothing to her. She felt a cool breeze on her face, which was followed by an unpleasant smell, reminding her of the foul drink Jason had given her earlier. She scrunched up her nose and tuned back into the boys' conversation just to hear Jason say 'we're living the dream', so she assumed they had been talking about Batman again.

Dick and Jason stopped abruptly, catching Sandy off guard and caused her to bump into their backs. She muttered a small 'sorry' as she saw why they had come to a stop. Their surroundings seemed much darker than they did a moment ago and the door in front of them was much less inviting (due to the lack of neon lights - Sandy thought). 

Dick moved forwards and knocked on the door. Sandy suddenly become much more aware of their situation and stood up straighter.  A small window opened up and a man appeared, staring at Dick with harsh eyes. She watched as Dick pulled something shiny out of his pocket and held it up to the man, causing him to soften his features slightly. She couldn't hear much of their conversation, only the mention of his friends name. 

The man opened the door and Dick and Jason stepped forwards, but the man blocked the entrance after the former had stepped inside. The man and Jason stared at each other, neither one backing down. Jason handed over a small card which the man stared at and then snickered at it. Sandy didn't understand the exchange and why Dick's shiny thing had granted him access but Jason's card didn't. She saw the boy deflate over the rejection and lean his head back in frustration. The man looked over Jason's shoulder and saw Sandy with confusion covering her face, causing him to chuckle and close the big and little door on them, leaving them standing in the cold.

Jason stayed staring at the door for a moment longer and huffed. Sandy hadn't moved either but was waiting for his next action, seeing as their leader had left them alone. 

"Why didn't he let us in?" Sandy questioned, coping Jason's actions and tucking her hands in her pockets.

Jason span around and hopped down the step, staring at the buildings on the other side of the road. "Because he's an asshole." He smirked as he turned his head to look at Sandy, noticing she was still confused, so he continued with his answer, "and because you have to be over 21. And we're not." 

"I am." Sandy innocently stated. Jason smiled back at her. "Yeah, but you don't look it, and I don't think telling him you're a legend turned human from thousands of years ago would have made him let you in either." He leaned against a small wall and crossed his ankles. Sandy joined him on the wall and pushed herself up so she could sit on it.

"So what is it you do? Or is it just putting people to sleep?" Jason asked, trying to fill the silence whilst he thought of what do to next. 

"No, I can also hear peoples thoughts, but I don't really like using it that much." She shrugged as she spoke, as though it was a common statement. Jason thought about her response, knowing full well if he had either of those abilities he would be using them a lot more than she does. 

As the two of them sat in a comfortable silence, Jason noticed a guy walking down the alleyway next to the bar, carrying a box of bottles. He looked over his shoulder and watched as the man opened a side door and went inside. Jason pushed himself off the wall and into the centre of the walkway. He looked back at Sandy to see that she was watching him already, so he nodded his head, signalling her to join him. She looked confused again as she walked over to him, trying to find what he had been looking at. 

"How far's the range on your... power?" Jason asked, planning in his head.

"What? Why?" 

"When that guy comes back I need you to knock him out." 

Sandy looked more shocked than ever. "That's not what its for! I can't just go around doing that, these powers are for good only!" Putting emphasis on 'only', Sandy crossed her arms as Jason huffed, his plan already falling. 

"Well we have to get in there somehow!?" Trying to persuade the girl, he tried a different approach, "What if Dick's in danger?"

"He's fine, he's talking to Clay." 

Jason gawked at her. "I thought you only used them for good?" 

Sandy stared straight ahead as she replied, "I am, like you said," She looked up at him out of the corner of her eyes, "he could be in danger." She looked back down the alleyway as Jason continued to stare at her, now smirking. He looked down and smiled before looking back to where the guy had entered the building, an idea forming in his head. 

"Alright, new plan, stay behind me." He grabbed her hand and pulled her down the alley way towards the dimly lit door.

a/n - 27/04/2019

it has been a hot minute since i updated and i apologise. if anyone saw on the message board thing, i had to give my laptop back bc it sucked and i still havent bought a new one so i am very rarely on a computer atm and im slowing writing chapter. not sure how long it will be until regular updates but im sorry if anyone is waiting for me to update, but also thanks for enjoying this story!

ALSO WE ARE ON 2.1K?????? THIS IS INSANE!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

also also sorry there is no gif (if anyone likes the gifs) i havent seen endgame yet and i dont want to go on tumblr and risk a spoiler so ill put on there after i see it

SO THIS IS A ENDGAME SPOILER FREE ZONE PLEASe