pictures (of you)

x. chapter ten

previously 

As they made their way down the hallway, Jason turned to look over his shoulder and flashed a grin at Sandy before they disappeared into the bathroom.

Sandy finished her self-guided tour around the apartment and walked back into the lounge to find Jason looking at the painting hung on the wall. In his hand were two beers, his own that was almost half finished and an unopened one, presumably for Dick, but Sandy wondered if perhaps he had a bit of a drinking problem instead. Shortly after, Dick returned from the bathroom, his arm bandaged up for an unknown reason, panicking Sandy. Before she could look into his thoughts, it was made clear that he had removed the tracker that he and Jason had talked about earlier in the car. Dick placed it in Jason's hand as he explained that the boy's work was done and that he should head home to Bruce, which Jason was not happy about, and made sure to vocalise his thoughts.

"What the hell, man?! You didn't have to do that." He fiddled with the tracker as he spoke, clearly disappointed as Dick reiterated that he wasn't 'Robin' anymore. As he tried to explain to Jason how he should remove his own tracker, Jason got more annoyed and defensive over Bruce's actions, still not understanding why Dick gave it all up. The older boy ignored his words and responded by dumping Jason's suitcase into his arms, tell him to let Bruce know they would need the apartment for a bit longer. His actions made Sandy alert of the situation, not expecting Jason to leave so soon, although she understood why Dick told him to. 

Jason shook his head slightly as he placed the case back on the table along with the beers he had been holding. He and Dick began to have a more serious conversation about Bruce. The girl didn't want to intrude, so she moved further away from them towards the back windows that overlooked the city. She tried to shut their conversation out as she gazed out to the view below her, but couldn't help but catch a few words.

Jason had handed Dick a folder from Bruce that contained multiple pictures. Dick moved to the glass table and sat on the sofas, laying out all the photos so he could see them clearly. Jason moved to sit next to him and Sandy wandered over from the window to the wall behind them, not being too nosy but still being about to understand the pictures meanings, that had been sent to Gotham PD, addressed to 'Robin'. 

She could see Dick's face fell the more he stared at the photos, so she leant slightly closer to be able to catch a glance. She felt her heart sink after she saw the state of the people in the photographs, whose faces looked like they had been burnt on one side. After Dick explained that he knew the faces, they were his old circus family. He and Jason began discussing the weapon and possible attacker and listed people unfamiliar to Sandy, and they soon got up and headed towards the elevator. Sandy trailed along after them and stepped back into the lift before the door closed. 

When the doors finally opened, Sandy was surprised to see a different floor of the building, not that there was too much to see, for their only view was a long hallway covered in metal. Dick led the way as he was the only one somewhat familiar with the layout, Jason confidently strolling beside him, and Sandy trying to take in her surroundings, however dull they may be, whilst simultaneously trying to keep up with the two boys and their quick pace. They reached the end of the hallway and it opened out into a dimly lit room. Sandy assumed they must have been in the basement or some distance underground, as the only source of light was emitted from a few thin lights and the computer screens due to the lack of windows, although she guessed it could have also been for security reasons on account of the vasty technology that covered most of the small room. 

Dick took the seat in front of the main computer, Jason and Sandy both settling for leaning on the remaining desk space. The girl noticed Dick hadn't actually moved since he had sat down and was staring down at the keyboard. The display on the screen showed the large 'W' spinning around and a password input box, which had clearly thrown Dick off as he had no way of knowing the password. He reluctantly spun the chair round to look at Jason and ask for his assistance, who graciously agreed to help. Jason remained next to Dick after he typed in the password, watching as he searched a name. Sandy watched over his shoulder as photographs of a large man popped up, posing and showing off his muscles. Dick chuckled at the man and continued to search for information and was extremely satisfied to find out he was okay. He pulled out his phone to call the number displayed on the screen only to be met with a pre-recorded message. Mentally noting the address, Dick shot up from his seat and announced that he would drive to Milwaukee to check up on the man. 

"Sweet! We're going on a road trip!" Jason exclaimed, clapping his hands together. Sandy pushed her safe off the table enthusiastically, hoping there would be more to see in Milwaukee, because as cool as city buildings were, she still had a world to see. 

Dick cut their excitement short, letting them know he would go alone. He was still trying to get Jason to go back to Bruce and he knew Kory wouldn't be too long with Rachel and Garfield, trusting Sandy would be fine by herself for a while. Jason kept insisting that he go with Dick and threw how he had basically saved their lives earlier on in his face in an attempt to support his argument. This left Dick stumped for a response which satisfied Jason. 

Whilst they had been talking Sandy noticed a 'system alert' icon pop up on the screen and she walked closer to the computer. Shortly after it started beeping which altered the other two. Jason chuckled and hit a button that opened up a live webcam on the front entrance, revealing Kory, Rachel and Garfield, all looking into the camera expectantly. Gar waved and the camera and grinned, making Sandy smile widely.

a/n - 07/03/19

not sure how i feel about this chapter bc i wrote it quite quickly and nothing really happened :/

also i might write an umbrella academy fic??? i have an idea planned out and tbh it would only be short bc i clearly love throwing characters in halfway through a series and dragging episodes out (we aren't even halfway through episode 6 and i managed to squeeze like 10 episodes out of 1 and a half epsiodes??? is that good i dont know?) 

anyways let me know what you think of this chapter and if you would be interested in an umbrella academy book? if i do write it it will be after i finish this one

(gif from buckyssteves on tumblr)