help!

ix. chapter nine

previously

Turning back to the rest of the floor, she followed where she had assumed Jason had gone.

Rounding the corner, Sandy walked into the main area of the apartment. She instantly saw Jason standing next to the table that held his briefcase. Just as he closed it up he saw Sandy had walked in, but Dick hadn't. Noticing that she held his briefcase, he moved to take it off of her. She thanked him as she raised it up to him, her arms slightly shaking from the weight. He took it off of her with ease and placed it on the table as though it was as light as a feather. Sandy relaxed from the lack of weight and took the time to look around the apartment, spinning where she stood. It had a very modern design overall - although anything from this century was modern to Sandy - and was very minimal, matching the exterior of the building. Contrasting the dark and sparse furniture were the number of paintings and canvas's hanging on the walls, lifting the rooms otherwise moody theme. Sandy wondered how much of this building belonged to Bruce, as though her knowledge of him was very brief, she was very much aware of his livelihood, meaning an entire building for a safe house would barely have made a dent in his funds.

"Where's Dick?" Jason interrupted her thoughts, attempting to strike up a conversation but also wanting to know of Dicks whereabouts since he had left without his case and didn't inform him.

His question had caught Sandy off guard, her wandering thoughts caused her to forget where she was. She stared at him for a moment, repeating the question in her mind until it made sense. "He went to get Mr Adamson." She rushed out, suddenly remembering what Dick had told her only minutes ago. Jason looked back at her in confusion, but instantly remembered the unconscious man they had left in the car. He nodded back at her, and the room fell silent once again. 

To her, it was normal. She had spent the majority of her life alone, only spending odd moments in the presence of others, most of the time no words were even spoken. Although the company was still very new, it was growing on her, and she dreaded the moment when Dick would tell her that she wasn't needed anymore, when she would have to go back to the motel, alone.

To him, it was uncomfortable. He was a chatty person; he enjoyed talking. His mind was constantly bubbling with thoughts and ideas he wanted to share. Most of the time he would talk endlessly, not bothered if no one replied, for he could speak enough for the both of them. But now, even he couldn't think of what to say. His mind raced with different questions to ask in an attempt to get to know her, but none of them felt right. Finally, he settled on...

"Do you want a beer?"

Her head turned towards him and she hesitantly replied. "Uhh, yeah, sure!" She couldn't remember the last time she had had a beer, or any proper drink for that matter. She watched Jason as he went to the refrigerator almost instantly and she wondered how he knew the contents of the apartment so well, or if he had just assumed correctly. He pulled out two bottles and handed one to her. As the bottle met her hand she shivered in shock, not expecting that level of cold. Looking down at the bottle, she noticed it looks different from what she was used to, the main distinction appeared to be the lack of cork, wherein its place sat a flat cap. She looked back up as Jason to see what she should do but saw he had moved away from his original spot and was now walking around the apartment and was somehow drinking already. 

She was about to ask for help but a wave of anxiety washed over her -  something she very rarely experienced - for she didn't want to embarrass herself, the task at hand was clearly very simple. Looking back to her bottle, she eyed up the cap for a way to get it off. Based on experiences, her first thought was to try pulling it, just as one would with a cork. This, however, fell short, as she soon found out. The cap didn't move a millimetre, but it did scratch her hand, making her gasp and hiss in response. Her head turned back to Jason, worried her reaction had caught his attention, only to find he was already staring at her in amusement. She had been so quiet beforehand so he had looked to see why only to find her amidst her struggling and decided not to offer any assistance. He strode back over to her, not trying in the slightest to hide the grin on his face, and took the bottle from her. In a dramatic fashion, he over-exaggerated the movement of twisting the cap off to show her just how easy it was. His amused eyes never leaving her, he handed back to her and awaited her review, now that she could finally drink it.

She glared back at him, trying to hide her embarrassment as she took a sip. Her face instantly twisted as she forced herself to not spit it out. Once she finally swallowed it, she brought the bottle to her eye level and her eyes darted over the label whilst she simultaneously asked: "What the hell is this?!"

Jason furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and lightly chuckled. "What? It's beer!" 

Sandy scoffed at his answer. "I don't know what this is but its definitely not beer." Jason continued to laugh, not understanding but still entertained. She might as well of just drank from a bottle of water, or a bottle of water mixed with a hint of yeast. The beer she was used to, or at least remembered was nothing like this. The beer she remembers would have put this new version to shame. She watched in slight disgust as Jason shrugged and continued to drink. Before she could respond she heard the elevator doors open and the sound of footsteps, followed by the sound of a body being dragged. Both Jason and Sandy's heads turned to the entrance in confusion, only to immediately remember that Dick had gone back to the car and had now returned. Jason rushed over to him to assist him in carrying the still unconscious man. Dick continued to pull the man by his feet, whilst Jason grabbed his arms and lifted him into the air slightly to take some of the weight off of Dick. As they made their way down the hallway, Jason turned to look over his shoulder and flashed a grin at Sandy before they disappeared into the bathroom.

a/n  - 06/03/19

someone tell me why i spent longer than i needed to on the beer bit? i feel like this seems a bit like a filler chapter but its not (or at least wasnt intended to be that way)

also when i first called her sandy  i was like 'oh yeah thats cute bc its like sandy in rise of the guardians which was the inspo and also like sandy from grease which is cool bc they have the same kind of personality i guess' but i just remembered sandy from spongebob and thats all i can think about now when i write the name.

also ive never had beer so i have to google what it tastes like and the history of beer bc i wasnt sure how old it was but turns out its like the oldest alcohol drink ever so thats cool i learnt something from this

hope you enjoyed this chapter! even tho not much happened!!:))))

(gif by redcapes on tumblr)