who are you

iv. chapter four

previously

"So what's your name?"

"I don't have one."

Dick furrowed his eyebrows together as he repeated her words in his head, making sure he heard her correctly. He turned his head towards her, his face full of confusion. Her face showed no emotion, as though that was a normal response, and she continued to watch through the windshield as the landscape passed by. Dick turned his attention back to the road ahead before he spoke.

".... What do you mean, you don't have a name? What does that mean? Why don't you have a name?" He stopped himself from stuttering through the question as he was full of uncertainty. Maybe Kory was right. 

"Well, I've never needed one." Again, her face didn't change, she was blissfully unaware that what she thought was a simple response was only filling Dick's head with more and more questions and absolutely no answers. Her reply almost called Dick to chuckle, instead, he left out a breath and closed his eyes for a moment, fully taking in the reality of the situation. As strange he felt at that moment, he couldn't deny it wasn't the strangest thing he had ever heard. In actual fact, it wasn't that strange at all, for if he had only just met her at that moment, he would have assumed she was an orphan - like him - who no one had ever cared to give her a name.

But it was due to the fact that they hadn't just met that was leaving him so bewildered. She was working in a motel, where she couldn't have been alone, could she? He didn't recall seeing anyone else working, but then again, he didn't recall seeing anyone else, and they were only there for a few hours. Even if it was just her, she couldn't have obtained a motel like that by herself, right? He guessed she couldn't have been much older than Rachel, and he knew she definitely wasn't older than him, so how on earth would she be the sole owner and potential manager of a motel out in the middle of nowhere. Even if she was, how come she never gave herself a name for the sake of it? Had no one else ever asked her name? Did she give them the same response she gave him? 

"How old are you?" Rather than filling his mind with questions, he decided to try and get an actual response that made sense and would put his theories to rest. 

She paused for a moment before answering, which was already a bad sign in Dick's book.

"I'm not sure, I haven't really thought about it in a while."

That was it. Dick was actually speechless for one of the few times in his life. He didn't what he could possibly reply to that. The only thought that crossed his mind was-

"What the fuck?"

In a strange turn of events, her face was the one twisted with confusion, due to his sudden and loud outburst. Her head remained forwards, but her eyes darted to his direction as he rambled.

"What the fuc- Who the fuck are you?! What the fuck does that even mean?!" 

Silence filled the air as she waited for him to calm down, whilst his face was still furrowed. She had an innocent look on her face as she leant back in her seat and tilted her head back, her gaze focused on him. Dick finally took a breath and composed himself. 

"Okay," He breathed again, thinking about his next words carefully so that he could get an actual response from her. "I'm gonna need you to explain to me who you are... or... what... you are because nothing you have said makes any sense to me." Before she could begin to speak, he quickly added, "And what that was that you did back at the motel because you still haven't explained that."