stuck in the middle (with you)

viii. chapter thirteen

previously

He looked down and smiled before looking back to where the guy had entered the building, an idea forming in his head.
"Alright, new plan, stay behind me." He grabbed her hand and pulled her down the alleyway towards the dimly lit door.

Jason leaned against the wall, 'cooly' as Sandy would have described. She attempted to copy and in doing so made too much noise shuffling about for Jason's liking, causing him to stop her by holding his arm across her and pushing her lightly towards the wall. He turned towards her and with his other hand, he placed a finger to his lips dramatically, as though he was talking to a child. She nodded her head, looking embarrassed.

They both turned to look in the direction on the door once they heard it open. Without looking, Jason slowly moved his arm to grab Sandy's hand again, and once the man had walked far enough away from the door, they quietly but swiftly headed through the entrance. The sound of drunken chatter and dance music led them down the dimly lit hallway until they reach one door that stood out from the rest. The noise was muffled but still loud enough that Sandy wouldn't have been able to hear Jason if he began talking. He slowly opened the door, hoping to avoid any suspicion from people on the other side. 

Without hesitation, Jason walked through the doorway, radiating confidence as he nodded and smiled to people he passed. Sandy watched from the entrance, she was mesmerized. The longer she spent looking around at the bar, the further away Jason got. She turned her attention back to where Jason was... or used to be... she thought. Her vision was now clouded by a mass of people. She felt a swell of nerves rush through her as she took in the number of bodies around her.  Her eyes darted round to try and catch a glimpse of Jason. The loud music filled her mind and she couldn't focus on anything. Her body felt stiff and loose at the same time, as though she had no control. She screwed her eyes up and tried to shut everything out, hoping she could regain focus on something, anything. 

'fuck, where'd she go?' 

She heard Jason's thought in her mind, a slight panic in his voice as he'd realised she had fallen behind. Sandy ripped her eyes open and tried to search for Jason again. As she turned to her right, a couple passed by her, throwing their heads back with laughter. As the women moved their heads, she caught sight of a familiar yellow hoodie. She lurched through the crowd, mumbling apologies as she moved into every available space. Her words were no match for the level of noise in the club and its volume was still messing with her awareness, tunneling her vision on the thoughts of Jason. Her attention was disrupted by someone stepping backwards, causing her to loose her footing and trip, tumbling towards to floor in front of her. Her mind blanked as she fell, trying to assess what had happened and why she was no longer moving, and why she felt pressure on her arms. Out of her control, she moved upright and was placed back in her original position. The crowd had separated to give the girl space, not that she had noticed, she only stared forwards at the boy in front of her.

"Hey, where did you go off to? Thought I lost you." Jason cooed, seeing the girl visibly calming down with his words. He smiled softly, rubbing her arms subconsciously. Her eyes never left his as she calmed down her breathing, very aware that people around her were still staring. Jason noticed this too and led her away from the crowd and over to the bar where less people lingered. 

No words were said as he patted the bar stool for her to sit on whilst he stood in front, the long legs of the chair added a few inches to her height so they were now at eye level. Now settled, Sandy took the opportunity to continue looking around the large space. The lighting that emitted from the bar spread a warm glow over the bodies that remained around the bar, contrasting to the harsher blues and purples that were littered on tables and hung on the walls.