3. Compromise

"Let me get this right. Since we both won, we have to go together?" Parker asked Chad with a frown as he leaned forward in the uncomfortable office chair.

I sat patiently in mine, waiting for Chad to explain more behind his desk as we were being informed about the trip's details.

"Yes. The station was only going to give away one ticket but then we got the budget for another one last minute. You both called and you both won hence why the airplane tickets are together and there's one hotel room."

Parker ran a hand down his face in frustration. He looked irritated by the whole situation.

It went silent and it seemed like my time to speak my opinion. "I think we're just both confused as to why we have to go together, as two strangers, and why we can't both get a pair of tickets to go on our own with someone else."

"Listen kids, it comes down to both of you going or I can do another giveaway for the tickets on the radio today."

Before either of us could respond or even process his words, the bored receptionist peaked her head through the door.

"Excuse me, but there's a call for you Chad." She said with a much more enthusiastic tone than she had spoken to me with.

He followed her out of the door, saying "I'll be back in a minute," as he held up his pointer finger.

I cleared my throat from the awkward silence that surrounded the room immediately and fiddled with the fraying fabric on my chair.

I heard a sigh come from him to my left as he turned his body towards me.

"So I should be able to go with whoever I want since I won the real contest and was caller number 14."

I looked at him annoyed. A burst of confidence filled me as I looked him in the eyes, "If you're suggesting that I give you my ticket then hell no. I listened all week and got lucky enough to win the second one so there's no way that I'm passing up this opportunity. Zero chance!"

"Then you're stuck with me, Babe. I'm not giving up my ticket either." He smirked over at me showing me his right dimple and slouched down deeper into his chair.

I glared at him thinking through my two choices. I either go with a stranger or not go at all.

Well shit.

I sighed, after a few minutes of contemplation. Holding out my right hand for a shake I said, "We go together but don't speak nor stay together at the festival. Deal?"

Parker sat up at my question and it didn't take him long to shake my hand with his large one. "Deal."

•••

I slammed my locker shut after grabbing my Biology text book and Carly followed me down the dark blue hallway of the high school.

"You never fully explained to me what's happening with your music festival and I've been dying to know. You're going with a guy?" She asked.

I wasn't in the mood to talk about my unhappy situation yesterday with her so I left it with minimal details. She would keep on pestering me about it if I didn't describe all the specifics soon.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance as we passed by rushing teenagers.

"I've told you several times Carly, you just don't listen. This the last time. He won the first ticket and I won the second which means we have to go together."