26. Aftermath

I woke up the next morning to moans. No, not the pleasurable ones but the pain ones that came out of someone who was feeling terrible. That someone was Parker.

We had switched positions during the night and his heavy arm that was once around me was now clutching his head in pain, successfully leaving me cold and awake.

I sighed, swinging my legs out of the bed and onto the carpet.

Why do I have to be such a good girlfriend?

Without a word to Parker and a grim look on my face, I made my way down to the kitchen to grab him some Advil and a glass of water.

"Why is the world spinning?" I heard him mumble when I walked back into my bedroom.

"Maybe because you drank so much last night. I'm surprised you're still not drunk," I said in a clipped tone.

He continued to grimace. "Here. This'll help." I slammed down the pills on the nightstand with the cup. Before he could say anything, I spoke again, "I'll be downstairs," and briskly walked out, still annoyed with his actions last night.

The door slammed behind me as I stomped downstairs. I made my way to the kitchen passing Carter playing on the Xbox in the living room.

"Ah the she-devil rises."

Glaring menacingly, I thudded into the room taking in his posture. He shook a little, although he wouldn't share it, my angry mood was a rare sight and seeing it unnerved him. I clenched my fists and released them several times trying to calm myself from the events of last night and the snark I had just received.

"Where's Mom and Dad?"

"Dad got called into work earlier this morning and Mom's at brunch with Aunt Shelia and Emily and then she's going grocery shopping after, why?"

"Just... Ignore any yelling from this point on." My words staggered into a sigh as the last dropped off into a murmur. He glanced at me with confusion in his eyes but shrugged it off and placed his large headset over his head before continuing with some violent VR game.

I made my way to the kitchen to make myself some breakfast and tea because I knew this was going to be stressful. I grabbed a bowl and some fruit loops (I needed the extra sugar this morning) and then, grabbed the milk from the fridge. As I juggled the three items back to the counter, I heard the door to my room shut as carefully as possible followed by sluggish movements down the stairs. Parker's gentle grumbles came from the next room over as I assumed he asked where I was before continuing to the kitchen.

The door opened slowly, creaking and out from behind, Parker pokes his head through, squinting at the well-lit room. Ignoring him, I began to pour my cereal and milk as well as turn the kettle on and place a tea bag inside of my green mug.

Parker stood awkwardly on the other side of the kitchen in front of the door, eyes cast down and hair covering his eyes. I upheld my silence and opened the drawer for a spoon, slamming it angrily back in. I leaned against the counter and shoveled the loops into my mouth, swallowing loudly before continuing. Parker looked up at the sound. He started shuffling towards me. I made no move to stop him.

"Paige..." his movements were slow across the small kitchen. I continued eating. Louder, he repeated, "Paige..."

This time, he brought his hands up, now standing next to me, reaching for my arms. His touch was soft against my skin, barely any pressure. I shrugged them off. Instead, I turned to the now boiled water and poured it into my mug.

"Paige, listen I-"

I held my hand up, signaling him to stop talking.

I poured a little milk into my tea, a packet of sugar, removed the tea bag all while he watched my every move. I gave the tea a little stir, blew on it and finally turned to look at him dead in the eyes.

"Me first," I said, my words low and pointed. No room for objections. "Last week was a nightmare. I was picked on seemingly everywhere I went, pressure built up against my shoulders. I barely had anytime to breath let alone do homework, class work, meet up with any other friends apart from Carly. But alas my saving grace, my boyfriend promised to have a date night with me after not being able to see each other for a week."

A pause.

"Last night I spent over an hour getting ready. Hell it took me almost half an hour to decide what top to wear let alone the rest of the outfit, hair, make-up. I wanted the perfect night. It got to 7. I was downstairs by the door waiting. It got to 7:15 and I was still downstairs waiting in the same spot. I thought 'he's probably just late, probably stuck in traffic' so I called you. Nothing. 'Whatever, if he's driving he can't text me, he's just being safe.'"

My fingers were tapping hurriedly against my mug. My arms were shaking ever so slightly. I brought the scolding liquid to my mouth in an attempt to calm myself before the worst came. It burned on its way down.

"8:49. I waited until 8:49 before I moved to try and find you, Parker. Hear that? I waited almost two hours for someone that wasn't going to show up. I probably would've waited longer if you had called me or sent a message so that's a positive, right?"

My eye twitched. Shame filled his.

"Kharis sent me a message," My voice was low, bitter, "She attached a video. Of you chugging beer after beer before celebrating."

"Paige, I can explain I-"

"No. I'm still talking," My voice rose again, "You promised me a night Parker, one night. And instead you ditched me to party with some kids that you don't even like that much. I wouldn't of even minded if you had just sent me a message before, saying that you wanted to rearrange, to another day this week or whatever. Sure, I would've been a bit pissed but at least I wasn't getting my hopes up for nothing. I just want to know why Park, why blow me off with no word, no messages or even a phone call. 'Cause that was the most frustrating part of it all."

By the time I was finished, I finally took in his appearance and it looked like he was hyperventilating. With wide eyes, his chest rose and fell at an abnormal rate.

"I... I'm sorry," He let out quietly, his voice wavering. "I can't apologize to you enough, baby, with how I acted. I-" He cleared his throat, looking down at the floor.

Was he holding back tears?

"I don't have a pleasant home life, okay? When I had a rough day, I should've leaned on you and not alcohol. But the truth is, I was scared to open up to you and be emotional. I've only ever shown you my 'fun' side," he laughed dryly.

Placing the now empty mug behind me, I moved a step closer to him, reaching up to lay a hand on the side of his face so he would look back up, into my eyes.

"Fuck. I don't want your pity and I distanced myself from you which was a mistake. I can't take it back but I promise you it won't happen again. I won't hurt you like that again."

I really didn't want to forgive him that easily. He had caused me so much heartache but as I stood there, I could see the honesty and pain that swirled in his gorgeous eyes. 

Damn it, Parker.

"You don't have to be strong all the time, Park," I said softly, caressing his cheek. "I'm here for you, as your best friend, to see all the emotions you face. You're so not off the hook for last night but I'll call it a learning experience and you're gonna have to work to make it up to me." I smiled.

He nodded his head frantically in agreement. "Of course, I'll do anything. Shit, I hate that my family gets me so sappy." He frowned dramatically.

I chuckled. "We don't have to talk about it now but you can open up to me. I sure have been trying to with you."

"It's just so hard." He drawled out the 'd' in hard like a whining little kid.

"Um, I think we need to talk about what you're wearing." I smirked, scanning my extremely tight clothing on him.

He grimaced, looking down at himself for the first time today. "Damn it, Paige. What happened last night?"

"You don't even wanna know."