17. Euphoria

I skipped through the entrance gates for the last time of our trip. The "Welcome to Wanderlust" banner was slowly drooping down; the once tightly strung strings loosened over the three day as the weight in the center made the sign curl into a slight U shape. The end was near and it seemed as though the sign knew this too.

It's the last day, Paige. Make it worth while! I told myself with a grin as I grabbed Parker's hand in confidence and pulled him towards the main stage.

"We'll meet you back at this stage later for The Neighbourhood! Have fun you two," Natalie winked as she took her girlfriend's hand in hers and walked in the opposite direction as us.

"Well, you're stuck with me now, babe." Parker laughed, swinging our hands back and forth as he gave me a squeeze.

"I might leave your ass if you don't dance with me," I smirked up at him.

He suddenly twirled me around, my cardigan fanning out around me and then I collided into his chest. His warm breath hit my ear, sending goosebumps to pop up on my arms. "Oh trust me... I'm gonna dance."

•••

Parker stood true to his words. We were now singing along to BØRNS and swaying with the beat, our hips moving in sync.

My cardigan had just come off, feeling too hot in the Florida heat as Natalie said. I was now warming up to the outfit too, noticing all the other scantily clad girls around me so ignoring my anxiety-filled conscience I decided, "fuck it" and went with the flow of the festival.

"Wanna get up?"

"Huh?" I replied to Parker in confusion.

"Get up on my shoulders," he clarified.

My face screwed up, an eyebrow raised as doubt flashed through my eyes for a few seconds while I mentally debated the pros and cons of the situation.

Pros: I might finally be able to see something other than the sweaty backs of other people and get their arm pits out of my face which will also improve the smell of the overall area (the B.O. was starting to get to me).

Cons: I could fall off of his shoulders and crash to the ground which would be embarrassing but it would be more embarrassing if I was to knock both of us down. Not only that but I know I'm not exactly light as a feather and Parker's too kind (I think) to complain so that would make it awkward if he can't lift me or get tired of holding me, leading to the scenario listed above.

Curse me and my over-thinking.

"Er... I don't know... I might be a bit heavy and my shorts-" I stopped when I noticed Parker already in a crouched position, looking up at me.

"Come on," he coaxed me, "I'll be crouching here all day until you climb up."

Seeing as he wasn't giving up, I gradually spread my legs over his shoulders and gripped onto his arms before he slowly stood up.

Woah. Now I can really see.

As he changed his footing to be more stable, I felt myself trembling and put a hand on his head to steady myself.

"You alright up there?" Parker chuckled, holding onto my thighs to keep me balanced.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm fine. Just peachy!"