5. Organize

... and although Gatsby was living the American Dream, he died in an unhappy state of mind.

I smiled as I wrapped up my final exam, specifically my English exam of writing my argumentative essay on the Great Gatsby. I set down my mechanical pencil and didn't even bother re-reading over the last paragraph, just wanting to be done with it.

"Have a nice summer, Mrs. Martinez," I whispered to my teacher as I handed her my paper and quietly left the classroom where the last few students continued to write in silence.

"Yes, yes, yes!" I yelled as soon as I got into the empty hallway, fist pumping the air as I knew my summer officially started.

"Shh, there are tests going on," a boy said from behind me, making me jump as he gave me a dirty look and squinted at me which made his glasses move down.

I thought I was alone!

"Sorry! Sorry!" I replied, and I could feel my cheeks heat up in embarrassment. My feet quickly moved in a fast pace and I hurried to the parking lot where Carly was waiting.

I found her Honda easily and gave her a wide smile as I hopped in.

"We're seniors, girly!" She grinned, driving away from the hell hole. Damn, final year of high school here we come and this summer will be an unforgettable one.

Carly had her crazy hair in a ponytail today and my dark hair whipped around my face as the wind blew through her open sun roof.  So this is what freedom felt like.

"Why don't we stop at Mirabella's for a celebration snack?" She glanced at me with eagerness.

"I can't. I actually gotta get home to start packing. I leave in a few days and my mom wants to make sure I have everything, you know her." I gave her a sad smile, as I remembered my mom's OCD behavior of wanting me to go through what I was bringing and what I still needed to get so far in advance.

"I forgot! Wow, you're going to be partying it up in Florida in a few days and I'll be stuck bored out of my mind without you."

"I wouldn't say 'partying', just a casual music festival with a stranger in a different state for a week."

She snorted at my statement, "No honey, you better have fun and just let go for once! You need it. Promise me you'll try?"

We slowed down at a stop light and she turned towards me, holding out her pinky finger. I don't think I would ever 'let go' but I knew what she was saying and I guess I should try.
I sighed, knowing I wouldn't win this argument if I disagreed and hooked my pinky to hers before the light turned green.

This festival wasn't going to be that crazy, right?

•••

"Okay, let's go through the list one more time."

I groaned in protest, I hadn't had a single moment to myself since I'd been home. As soon as I was through the door, my mom bombarded me with questions about the trip. It started with the usual stuff like "Do you have everything you need?'', "Have you started packing yet?", "Do you have the tickets and flight times?". Gradually, the questions started to evolve into "Do you need help sweetheart?" and just as I was about to escape, the dreaded sentence came out of her mouth, "I have some time now, I'll just come and help you out."

Once my mom had decided that I was in desperate need of help with something that had been mostly sorted out for me, I knew that it was the end. Goodbye free Friday night that was supposed to be full of ice-cream and Netflix! You will be missed but I must take this hit for us so that we can see each other once more when it is all over. When we are free from my mother's grip on the evening and all is calm.

It was now 6:30pm and I was so done with this. Within the three hours I had been home, my mom had made a list of everything I might need, gone over that list several times with items not out on the bed yet and when the items were, added on everything I needed just in case of an emergency plus spares of every clothing item I had gotten out because, "You can never be too sure sweetheart."

We hadn't even started putting the stuff into the goddamn suitcase yet!

My legs wailed at me to sit down, to take the pressure off of them, as my arms, which were already exhausted from the essay writing, begged me to relax and to drop everything I was holding. With drooping eye lids, I dramatically fell into my desk chair sighing at the relief that flowed through my body from head to toe.

"Paige, get up we need to finish before the morning."

Groaning again, I closed my eyes, ignoring her. I could tell that she was going to yell at me but thankfully, my saving grace opened the door, stopping her in her tracks.

"Well a lovely evening to you both! How are my two favorite girls tonight."

I opened my eyes and mouthed "help me," to him. My mom turned and glared at him for interrupting her before turning her back to him and silently continued to go through the stupid list. My dad was having none of that reaction and instead waltzed his way into my room, winking at me, then going behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist.

"Now love, what's with the sour mood hm?" My dad whispered sweetly in her ear, trying to somewhat calm her down.

"Your daughter isn't taking this seriously, Sam. I've been trying to help her pack for the past three hours but she has barely been of any help. Heck she didn't even know what she didn't have that she really needs-"

"I don't need three boxes of birth control mom! I'm barely over the age of consent here, let alone the age of consent in Florida!" I screeched, covering my face with both of my hands, hiding the embarrassment behind them.

"Well, I don't need any grandchildren right now Paige, you are going to Florida with a boy who is your age. Like his mother, I expect that we want you to leave the festival with each other. Not alone nor with an extra life."

My dad started to snicker behind her. She slapped his arms away but he grabbed her hand before she moved too far from him.

"Come on Karen, leave the girl alone she can pack on her own, I'm sure of it. Why don't we go downstairs, watch a movie or you can harass Carter. I'm sure he's doing something he's not supposed to do somewhere."

With a sign, she began walking out of my room, dropping the list onto my bed. My dad, with his hand still in hers, winked at me. He followed her out of the room, closing the door behind him.

My body finally relaxed itself, knowing it wouldn't have to stick to my mom's times and knew that I could continue whenever I wanted. Placing the items of clothing messily onto my suitcase, I climbed into my bed, still in my clothes from the day and took a well deserved nap.