31. Heartbroken

"Are you good now that you have ice cream in your system?"

I laughed, scooping out the last bit of fudge at the bottom of the sundae bowl. "Yes, you and the ice cream have definitely cheered me up."

"I can't believe what those girls said... They're just gossipers, you're not just an 'easy target', I promise."

I grimaced thinking back to their comments but didn't let it show in front of Parker. Instead, I just shrugged.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed with a vibration from my jean pocket. I reached for it, declining the call after seeing who it was.

"Who was it?" Parker asked.

I put my phone away. "Just Carly, I'll talk to her tomorrow." He nodded. He then pushed his head further into the arm pit of his jersey, quickly moving his head away with a disgusted look.

"I smell terrible. I gotta get home for a shower." He scooted out of his side of the booth, not before leaving some money on the receipt, and motioned for me to get out of my side. I followed him out with a smile on my face now that my tummy was full of ice cream. Though deep down I felt guilty for having him leave the game like that.

I could've just ruined his future.

"Paige, you coming?" I stood still on the sidewalk.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm coming." I moved over to the passenger seat of my own car. "I-uh-just remembered that you're driving my car. How are you going to get home?"

"Well..." he started the car and pulled out, onto the road. "What if I didn't bring you home and instead drove us to my house for the night? My parents aren't home, neither is my step sister."

My heart dropped.

"My parents aren't home..."

Is he insinuating something? I'm not ready to do anything! I just had my first kiss a few months ago for crying out loud! Aw man, he's a guy, he's gonna get restless if we don't do anything more than kissing...

"Paige, you're doing that thing again where you overthink things," He smirked over at me before returning his eyes to the road.

"You want me to stay overnight?" I said slowly.

"Well yeah, it'll be just like old times. Just like in the Florida hotel."

"Just like the Florida hotel?"

He laughed at me. "Yes, Paigey, just like the Florida hotel. What's wrong with that?" He shot me a glance and I could see the moment he finally caught on to what I was thinking.

He reached over the gear stick to grab onto my hand. "Listen, I'm not trying to get you in my bed. I mean...I am, but not like that. I'm not hoping for something or will push you. I literally thought we could have a sleepover."

I let out a breath that I was holding. A sleepover.

"Oh thank god," I breathed out in relief.

He chuckled again. "Relax. We're here."

•••

"Catch." A dark piece of fabric came flying at my face and I just caught it before it hit the floor. I uncrumpled it to find one of Parker's tees.

Wow, I'm changing out of one of his shirts to switch into another one. How cliche.

"I'm gonna go shower. You can use my room to change." I nodded in reply as he left his room.