29. Breathless

A few weeks later, Parker and I were definitely in a better place. He'd become a lot more open since the night of the concert. We haven't been on many more extravagant dates but there had been at least one every week plus after school we'd often just hangout with friends at Mirabelle's or at my place, in the privacy of my own room (with the door open three inches of course).

The final Friday bell had just rung and I headed back to my lockers, spotting Carly as I sped down the hallway. She jogged over and continued her way down with me.

"Are you coming tonight? We're going to try the birthday trick to see if we can get some free desserts 'cause let me tell you, the sweet treats are really eating into my budget right now."

I rolled my eyes at her plan, slowly stopping as I came to my locker. In the reflection I could see her eyes locked on my body, waiting for an answer. Without looking I replied, "Sorry, I can't tonight. Parker's coming around for dinner and he has soccer practice anyways so we wouldn't be able to go. Maybe next week?"

It was her turn to roll her eyes. She mumbled something under her breath, obviously annoyed, before checking the time on her phone.

"Whatever, I have to meet Kharis in fifteen minutes. See you later, Paige." She smiled but it didn't quite reach her eyes.

"Next week Carly! Promise."

With a small wave she turned and headed back through the crowd to the doors. A sinking feeling grew in my stomach but I pushed it down. Instead, I grabbed my books and jacket from my locker before I too joined the crowd, walking with the flow out of school.

...

After a quick stop at Starbucks for a cappuccino and a signature hot chocolate, I headed over to pick Parker up from school. Usually I wouldn't but he said his mom needed to borrow his car to pick up his step sis from some school field trip a few towns over so he asked for a ride after soccer practice. And who was I to complain about having to watch my boyfriend run around in shorts that are a little tighter than expected?

I pulled up in the parking lot, trying to be as close to the field as possible. Grabbing the drinks, I headed over to the bleachers to sit down with the few other spectators that had come to watch the practice. Currently, they were practicing passing with each other while other players practiced making goals. Marcus was the appointed goalie for the team.

Parker was in the line, talking to his other teammates. He was smiling which made me smile in return even if it wasn't aimed at me.

Marcus spotted me first, waving rather largely in my direction. This drew Parker's eyes away from the others just before he spotted me. He joined Marcus with the ridiculous waving. I lifted my arm to wave back, smaller of course, not wanting to draw anymore attention.

A whistle blew and the next one was up. For at least five minutes, I watched as each player would try to get the ball past Marcus only to watch each player fail. Although, most were extremely close. As the line got shorter, the closer it got to Parker's turn.

When he was finally at the front, he turned to face me once more. He blew an over-exaggerated kiss in my direction just before the whistle blew. He sized up the ball and Marcus, edging back before running. Marcus was anticipating a high corner shot but Parker seemed to be one step ahead. Instead of chipping the ball up, he kicked keeping the ball as close to the ground as possible, slamming it into the bottom corner. Marcus fell on his side exhausted. The rest of the team (along with us in the bleachers) cheered. Parker shook, high-fived and bro hugged a few of his teammates before he began a jog over to the bleachers.