30. Crisis

"Will you come to my game tonight?" He asked me over the phone.

"Yeah, of course. I haven't seen you play yet in a real game so I'm excited."

"I'm excited for you to cheer me on." I laughed.

It was now the next Friday and Parker had just told me about his soccer game that was happening tonight. Coincidentally it was against my school.

"And come early. I have something for you."

I plopped down on my bed with a smile. "Oo what is it this time?"

"Nuh uh. You'll have to wait and see. You have no upper hand on me this time because we're not in the same room."

"No fair. Please?" I asked in a baby voice.

"See you soon, Paige!" And like that, he clicked off, officially ending the conversation.

•••

I parked my car at the Oak Hill parking lot which already seemed packed to the brim. It had taken me forever to find a spot. Swinging my keys in my right hand, I followed the crowd to the fields slowly.

You see, I much rather have Carly by my side giving me reassurance that the crowd isn't "that big" and "no one will look twice at you" but here I was alone because she was busy. I've been to maybe one soccer game when she had a crush on one of the players and dragged me there for emotional support. Now, I'm here to support my boyfriend. Weird.

Nearing the fence, I could see Parker's wild hair as he looked in every direction.

"Hey, hotshot," I called out.

His face turned to me, lightening up as I trotted over to him.

"Hi, baby." He immediately leaned in for a kiss before I had time to think. Over his shoulder, I could see a few girl snickering about us.

Shit. I didn't even think about PDA. We're at different schools, it was never a problem.

So I pulled back a bit.

"Um so what was the thing you wanted me to have?"

He held up a piece of material. "My extra jersey. I thought you could wear it tonight. All the girlfriends do."

"Parker I-" he cut me off before I could state my doubts.

"Before you decline because of getting too much attention, just know that it would mean a lot to me. I wanna be able to point you out in the crowd too."

How was I gonna fight that? "Really?"

"Really," He replied, pushing the jersey out towards me. At least I know he's not embarrassed being seen with me.

"Alright, if it makes you happy." I took it out of his grip and pulled it on over my own shirt, adjusting it.

I was slightly giddy because I had never been asked to wear someone's jersey before but on the other hand, anxious to see how people would react. I hope they don't react.

He smiled big, about to say something before a booming voice announced that the game would start in five minutes across the field.