T h r e e

CHAPTER fifty| ARE WE FINE?

Bring me the horizon~ medicine❝Because I cut my teeth and bit my young, 'til my mouth was dripping blood

❝Because I cut my teeth and bit my young, 'til my mouth was dripping blood.❞

MY HAIR HAD never been just brown. There are a plethora of colours, each had something within it that made it so unique that no two colours were ever made the same. It isn't ever just brown; it is honey oats that were stuck onto strands of hair that are encased in the colour of warm chocolate that had been enfuesed with the sweetest caramel, or it is the bark from trees that had been growing for decades in the most perfect sun that the Earth had ever encountered. Each morsel was different, mine had mahogany wood and a drop of pure, relentless, dirt that had been fresh enough to let green grass grow in the nip of winter. In the light my hair was more like melting wood, the sun made it look like there was gold enfused with the most special strands that fell in front of my eyes.

I had beautiful eyes once too. They were not victims of aesthetics or minor change- my eyes had been deceased since the very minute that I thought the same had happened to my brother. There was a circle of honey within them as well that I had taken from my mother; my father loved a lot about her but I seemed to remember that her brown eyes were his favourite. That was what I lost; the honey that managed to make my blue eyes seem more real- it seemed like they related me to my mother just as much as my father.

To understand us, you had to understand that me and Remy were not the same. There was a man before my father that my mother loved, a man that I had only ever seen in pictures or ashes that she had scattered into an open grave but to Remy, that was the only man that he accepted as a father. He was brave, strong and unlike my mother he was from an area that used to live beyond the Districts before the war destroyed our known world. But, he was smart, and he made it into District 5 because unlike his family he was lucky enough to not be prosecuted because of his home.

I never asked why, but I knew that my mother was drawn to him unlike any other man that she had ever known. This man that had overcome the odds just like we had come to; my mother married him before her family could find them and that was how they ended up in the poorer side of Five. That was also how he died, weeks after Remy was born, as he could not afford to run away from the disease that riddled the area.

And then my father saved my mother from that same disease.

I was 11 when my mother died in childbirth and up until that point I never thought that I had seen her really love him. She needed him to save her and her baby but I think that most of all she needed him to take her reputation and make it something that her child could be proud of. I was the cause of that incandescent need- not love- but I knew that she loved me anyway because I was still half of her. I knew that the part of me that was like her warmed her heart enough to show me kindness.