S i x t e e n

CHAPTER sixty-three|THE PAST HAS COME AGAIN

Alec Benjamin~ let me down slowly❝Don't cut me down, throw me out, leave me here to waste

❝Don't cut me down, throw me out, leave me here to waste.❞

➳➳

DAY TURNED TO night, and the silence that once filled such a broken place like this one morphed into a new form that could fester cleanly. This one was comforting, because it was filled with soft snors that would of been whispers just hours ago, and the shuffling of bodies that happened in their sleep, not because of something highly uncomfortable. It seemed as if the team had found peace- which must of been why it never found me, but instead sat on my eyelids so that the weight of them tripled.

I was tired physically, but mentally I was exhausted.

Why?

I kept asking myself what it was that pushed me awake all the time, even when I knew that the things that kept me awake the day before had been settled. My brother, who had been the last cause of my nightmares, slept beside me tonight with nothing else but a shirt on and his lips lightly parted so that his soft breath could escape. Finnick, who once apon a time made my nightmare that much worse was just as peaceful as his hand gently curled around my waist to try and block the cold that was flowing from an open hole next to him.

They had both managed to solve their part in my inner turmoil, but it just seemed to hav gotten replaced with ten more.

Because there was always something that clung onto me, and this time it was something that could kill me- much like most of the times something had clawed it's way out to the front of my brain before. And yet, nobody would let me guard the very thing that put me on edge.

While Peeta had handcuffs to keep him from Katniss, his lips were free to move like daggers. That meant that it was possible for him to get me at any moment- that my body would never fully be my own. That terrifying thought, only that one, was the reason that I couldn't accept peace in the life of night.

It was Katniss' shift, which reminded me starkly of the Hunger Games we had been in before.

Just like then, I stumbled up from the uneven floor so that I could sit on a large rock parallel to her as the steel blue moonlight allowed me to see the slight angle in her cheeks, something that looked sharper in the daylight. When she had her hair down, I remembered thinking that her face could of been as deadly as she was due to the sharp angles that were cover in the gentle curve of her cheek, but here it seem to have been blunted.

To begin with we didn't say a word, just like before, which made me really analyse how much our relationship had changed.

"Who would of thought we would of ended up here." Katniss muttered finally as she leaned against a crumbled wall. This time, I couldn't seem to bring my imagination back from when I had been anticipating the Hunger Games a year ago; it seemed like the explosion that I had faced took the ability to see past memories in the present away from me. That part of me was supposed to fule the lunacy- but without it I didn't feel any more sane.