E i g h t

CHAPTER fifty- five|BROTHER DEAREST

Imagine dragons~ burn out❝patience only gets you so far, blood will get you further

❝patience only gets you so far, blood will get you further.❞

➳➳

I HAD STUMBLED from Katniss' hospital room so quickly that I did not see who was around me -or in front- until my pale hands caught the edge of their dusty clothes and I stepped on their leather shoes. I had never done that before, but whoever had caught me seemed to be so used to it that it was almost second nature for their long warm fingers to touch my clothed arms. As I looked up I saw the tanned skin and blonde hair of someone that I did not want to see; stumbling backwards into the rock wall seemed like the only thing I could do to get away from him.

"Finnick." I squeaked as I winced. He looked lost- terrible compared to what I was used to seeing when I looked at him and yet he smiled as if he was fine when he saw me- then he looked at the space between us as if it was a gun ready to shoot.

"Lorna hey- um is Katniss ok?" Finnick rubbed the back of his neck with his hand as he watched the space.

He looked like he wanted to say something different, words were waiting on the tip of his mouth ready to jump out and ruin whatever plan he had before he saw me, but he was so careful as he spoke. I had never seen him have to think about what he said more- it was as if we were strangers. Or something far less important than that.

"She's fine." I nodded my head as I awkwardly looked back at the door. He didn't want to go in to check on her so we stood, the silence between us louder than any words we could ever say. I wanted to tell him so many things, but how was I sure that it was really what I wanted? I couldn't be so brash; my blonde hair was finally useful when a single strand of it fell in front of my guarded eyes. His own eyes were grey as he watched me glance down the hall at the faint sound of footsteps; that was how I knew that he was upset.

The water made his blue eyes distort into a lifeless grey.

"Lorna, look we need to-"

Just as the man from Four began to speak someone rounded the corner- my brother was walking so quickly that I was sure he was almost running towards us. When he stopped by my side he glared at Finnick like he was a stain on his fresh white top; Finnick shrunk back slightly as he glued his mouth shut again. I wanted to know what he said- Remy beat me to it.

"What are we talking about?" Remy asked as he rocked on his heel with his hands deep in his pockets.

Finnick didn't answer. He shook his head as he walked away, and Remy watched it as if it was his own personal victory of the day. It wasn't a victory, I wanted to hear what he had to say.