F i f t e e n

CHAPTER sixty-two|SOMEWHERE

Sam Fender~ The sound❝It's the only thing that keeps me grounded

❝It's the only thing that keeps me grounded.❞

➳➳

I HAD NEVER been somewhere before.

Wherever I was, no matter what I was doing, I had always known where it was I had ended up in the grand scheme of it- even when all that I knew was names without the reason behind them. I had always had some clue, like a distant memory that I could grasp only when I saw the whole picture, but not the moment before. Truly, I had never experienced the panic of just being somewhere.

I didn't know what was going to be behind one part of the crushed rubble, or what I would do if for some reason I couldn't find a member of the team I had been apart of for only a day or so. If, and it was a very hard to compose if, Finnick hadn't been watching how I reacted to every single stone or sound I might of gotten lost in the many identical mirages of the Capitol streets.

I had only seen them from the comfort of glass screens or from heights that left each light as cloudy and small as the stars in the sky; now that I was forced to walk over each fallen lamppost that would of provided one of those stars it seems crazy that I hadn't focused on the bends in the street before. I never thought I would of needed it.

My brother however, walked these streets like they were his home. It made me wonder if he would look as sure when he tried to find our house's final burial sight in the rubble of our own District, or if it was simply just another somewhere to him. I wondered if he had been away so long that even the basic square would be too hard to find- something that we used to walk through together with our eyes closed as we pretended that we could be somewhere better.

It seemed that even better had been destroyed.

He walked behind our leader regiously with Gale by his side and the girl (that I had learnt was named Mercy) beside him, a glass of something undiscovered being shared every now and then between them all. As if they had time to focus on anything other then where they placed each foot- once again it felt as if I was far behind.

"I've never seen this place so empty." One of the members muttered from behind me as we took another few steps, only to be silenced by Boggs.

"Just keep your eyes open."

As I glanced around the team that all wore the same armed black suits, it seemed as if most of them could grasp what kind of place they were in. They looked content in just walking around with their knowledge, but to me it seemed almost stupid. While they all had their own blanket in familiarity- all but Katniss who watched her surroundings like a wide eyed cat- it felt like I was falling behind a little in the rubble.