t w e n t y

CHAPTER sixty-seven|RAIN DROP

Two door cinema club ~ changing of the seasons❝So it's over? I didn't realize, It's so much colder, but it was no surprise❞

❝So it's over? I didn't realize, It's so much colder, but it was no surprise❞

➳➳

NOTHING HAD EVER really left me alone. Not my past, not the feelings that would stick to me like toxic chemicals stuck to the walls of my lungs, and certainly not the lessons I had been taught before school became so pointless the world had sharpened its' sword into a sphere. It had been a reminder to me of all the things I had missed- all the things I could of had.

Like the thoughts I could of owned instead of stolen from those around me, and the feeling of pride when somebody wrote notes about a good idea I'd had between moments of talking and silence. The memories of writing and reading and maths, and the knowledge of the power plants around our District that they would shovel into our minds like fresh dirt everyday. The days when I would of been allowed to rest if I hadn't of needed to work, and the nights when I would have something other than my sister to look at.

There were so many things I didn't ever have, and those seemed to follow me closer than the things I'd been doing since I was born.

I knew Finnick missed it too- sometimes when I looked at him I noticed how he'd glance at Katniss using words large enough to fill up her entire mouth, or when one of the squad members began to talk into a walkie-talkie with a code he had never learned. Although, unlike me, he never really looked ashamed to loose an argument to intellect we couldn't have, instead it only seemed to draw him further towards the things he knew best.

With me, each unanswered question was a slap towards a childhood I could of had. Each equation that I could of discovered, or each precious resource I could have understood so well it would of actually helped; maybe I would have discovered a drug so powerful I never would've been forced to swing a sword ever again. Maybe I would have memorized the whole underground passages in the Captiol for future use, or how to use the technology that was being thrown from one cameraman to another as we walked along a covered street deep within the city.

Maybe then I would of lead us to the destination we had chosen, instead of having to follow. Or maybe I wouldn't have felt eyes on the back of my neck as I looked down streets I didn't know, as if each dead body was supposed to remind me of what happened when you weren't smart enough. I held onto Finnick as we went, even if he didn't know either.

Because for him, that unknowing only reminded him how quickly he could stop a heart.

Other than the occasional light stuck within strips of plastic, darkness kept control of everything I could lay my eyes on for more than a short glance. It was typical of the Capitol to leave the bottom of the city with shades instead of colour, but as I sat in a tube thinking about just how I had gotten where I was, I still felt stupid for assuming that the floor we walked on wouldn't have be stained by work and rust. Or that I could see anything other than the outlines of those who walked in front of me.