N i n e t e e n

CHAPTER sixty-six|THE STRENGTH OF GHOSTS AND MEMORIES

Waterparks~ powerless❝You know I'd make the time, I'm just waiting for your dream light

❝You know I'd make the time, I'm just waiting for your dream light.❞

➳➳

I HAD ALWAYS wondered what my lasts would be.

When the world seemed smaller I thought it would be something very similar to my firsts. I thought my eyes would close to visions of the top of my small hut of a home, with my family standing around me with eyes overflowing with joy and sadness all at once because of the lifelong events that would flash through their memories. I thought the last things I would hear would be the hum of electricity that never flowed through the walls, and that the last thing I'd feel would be the corse blankets Lillian had learned to weave from thrown out wool.

I thought I would be wrinkled by the sun, with my blue eyes lightened into green because of all the time they hit the light and turned that way as a small child. I thought my lips would have shrunken (like my overall height that wasn't that tall to begin with) and my brown hair would be such a snow white that it would remind the children of my District of the cold winter days when the powerplant had shut down and everyone who was wealthy enough got to play in the streets.

I thought I would feel one last loving kiss on my forehead, and I would be happy to go into a warmth greater than the one I felt. I thought I would go to find the love of my life like my father had, and that they would tell me everything would be fine.

Apparently, as the president continued his speech he tried to tell me just how wrong it was. That was, until even he was cut off by another opnion that still didn't meet what I had imagined so vividly.

Alma Coin had disrupted the Capitol so heavily that it shut down the narrative Snow had created before it could even fester under the lights of his studio's room. She cut in with a small hiss of broken airwaves, and the light from a place far too dark to show how different her greying hair could look with the right wind blowing through it, but she didn't take control for long.

She didn't take away all the rumours, but with her, we died in love and victory instead of malice.

To her, Katniss Everdeen wasn't just a girl plucked from the many faces we had all seen- her face in all of it's stoney but rather delicate glory was the only choice a rebellion had to ending a war with words instead of bombs. In Coin's eyes, Peeta was lost, and Remy was given a second chance at life to protect the Districts he cared so very much about.

She didn't say a lot, but she made sure that there was the same spark in her eyes that had been floating around the arena when she said my name. Lorna Odair- already something that would rally new support- had died whole again after being severed, and with those she cared about just as much as she cared about the inspiration she made with her actions.