Chapter 5

Eric's POV
It's already Saturday and I'm dreading meeting the chosen bride. I didn't even get her name. Arrgghh the curiosity is killing me, and I've been too distracted to investigate. Well at least I've still got a month to go. Or so I thought.

As I get dressed, I hear my phone buzz, I walk towards my night stand and I see the home number, "argh, this better be good". I think to myself.
" Speak".
"Young Master, your father has gotten worse and the doctors fear he might not live to the estimated days. Your father wishes to see you right away". Said Alfred with a concerned tone.
" I'll be right over". I replied and hang up. Now I know this man is literally ruining my life by getting me married but he is still my father. So I rush to finish getting dressed and head out. It took me 30 minutes to get home, and run quickly for the door. Before I could even get to the door, it swings open and right in front of me is Alfred, "he is in his chambers with your mother".
I walk right passed him, up the stairs, taking two stairs at a time, straight to my father's bedroom. I don't bother knocking and open the door. I see him lying in a very critical condition with my mother by his side, holding his hand to her cheeks. I rush to my mother and give her a hug as I ask, " how is he doing?"
"Not so great, son. He's really dying and it scares me. He's been muttering your name in his sleep". She pauses for a while and then says," Son, I know you don't want to get married, but please don't fight your father on this one, let him die a happy man knowing the family legacy is secured".
As I gather myself to respond, I hear my father call me like he is using every ounce of energy he has left to speak to me, "Son, p...ple...please." As he points to the left night stand drawer. I pull the drawer and see a bunch of documents and I pull them out and first thing I see is,'Marriage Contract'. I drop them by the bed and turn so he can't see my frustration and I run my left hand through my hair.
"Pl... Please.. S...ss....si...sign them" he said to me.
I have never seen my father so weak, in my entire existence I'd never heard him use the term please with me. So I grab my pen and sign the documents.
And once I'm done, I can't help but feel doomed and just when I thought its all over, my mother tells me, " Son, the wedding ceremony will take place today evening, since your father doesn't have long, he would like to see you wed. "Why the fuck do they always wait last minute to tell me anything?"

Alaine's POV
It's Saturday, woop woo and I can't wait to catch up with my girl. I should totally tell her about that crazy night I had. As I get ready to head out for work and check out how things have been running at the restaurant, especially since we are to open a new branch, I hear a knock on the door. I wonder who that could be, wasn't expecting anyone. So I rush to the door and as I open I see my dad with a composed face. "What's wrong dad?" I ask.
"I'm sorry dear, I don't mean to throw this on you right now but today's your wedding". He replied as he let's himself in the apartment and closes the door.
" Wh...what? You said I had a month, what happened? Why the rush?" I yell.
"Alaine,  I promise everything will be fine. I'm sorry for springing this on you like this but...". And before he could finish his statement I cut him off.
" How much is the debt? How much and I'll pay it off. I'll sell my restaurant, just tell me how much?"

"Alaine, it's not about the money but please trust your father" he pleads and hands me a file with documents to sign. "Please sign the marriage contract, I'd never do anything to jeopardize your happiness".
With tears in my eyes, I grab the documents and sign." You happy now?, I hope you sleep better knowing you sold off your daughter". As I wipe the tears with my back hand. He hands me a piece of paper and says, " please be at that address by 4pm and dress nice." And he leaves.
After his gone, I grab the nearest thing I could get my hands on and throw it to the ground as it shatters to a million pieces and scream my lungs out. I need a joint. 

I call Charlotte, and tell her everything and ask her to come by and help me shop for a dress. We are after all best friends and she knows my size and style. A few hours and she's at the door. By the time she arrives at my apartment its 2:52pm and we don't waste anytime and start getting dressed.

(This is the dress I imagined she wore, although that's not exactly how I imagine her)

I look at the dress and its such a beautiful dress that I wished if only, if only this could have been a real wedding, a real marriage but at least I'll get on with this drama in style. By 3:30pm I'm dressed, with simple make up and straightened hair. We then drive to the address, ready to meet my dear husband.

As we enter the gates of the address, I was dazed by how big the estate was and the landscape and greenery, it was beautiful. "Well at least he's rich. You know what the say, money might not buy happiness but it sure does make misery less bearable" said Charlotte. " I'm an independent woman, I don't need his money to buy and cater to my needs and you know I could never...." And before I finish, she cuts me off. "Jeez, I know. I'm just trying to lighten the mood. You look beautiful though, go knock him dead".
I couldn't help but chuckle a little," I guess I gotta start getting used to my new  telenovela life". I replied with a frown.