Chapter 12

Alaine's POV
"Alaine you need to go to the Archer residence, John Archer is dying and they can't get a hold of Eric". I drop the phone down at the news my father just gave me.
The few times I met John at the wedding a few times we'd gone for family dinner at his residence, he was kind, polite and funny too and him going to die anytime soon breaks my heart. I look at the time and its 8:00am, Charlotte just left for work and my plan was eat away my sorrow.

Plans changed.

Right now I hate Eric, but I need to call him and inform him about his father. I call but no answer and I decide to call Dom.
"Good morning Dom".

" Good Morning to you too Alaine".

"Dom, I need to know where your boss is at".

" I trust dropped him at his office ".

" Thanks Dom" and I quickly hang up.

I take a quick shower and wear my simple black jeans with a white shirt and sneakers, order and uber and I'm running out the door. "The Archer Tower, and please drive as fast as you can. This is an emergency". I say to him without even a simple hello.

I get to the Archer tower, and run inside and obviously security stops me because I'm dressed so casual, I tell them to call Rico, Eric's Assistant and he tells them to let me through. I rush to the elevator to the top floor and rush out practically running and I couldn't help but notice the stares I was getting. I walk past Rico and budge into his office without knocking.

" We need to go now" I said out loud trying to catch  my breath that I didn't notice he was with Mark Devanagari.

"Miss Stone, pleasure seeing you again". As he looks at me head to toe.

I ignore the confused gaze.

" Nice seeing you too Mark but could you give me a moment with my.. Mr Archer, its quite important ".

" No problem love". As he walks out.

Really, the term of endearment. I hardly even know the guy.

"Alaine, I'm glad-" and immediately cut him off.

"Eric, I didn't come here to discuss us, I came because your not answering your phone and its about your father," as I walk up to him. "Eric he may not make it through the day".
I see his face drop and I see how hard he's trying to hold back the tears and at that moment I walk over to his seat and give him a hug with head on my tummy and my hands around his shoulders. I felt like its what he needed even though he broke my heart, a death of a loved one isn't easy and I know because I lost my Mom a few years back.

" Eric, we need to leave so you can at least say your goodbyes". As I wipe the few tears that managed to escape his eyes with my thumb. I call Dom and tell him to get the car ready and started and we storm out of the tower with all eyes on us.

We arrive at the Archer residence and it was like a dark cloud had engulfed us with the skies so dull and gloomy like we had entered a ghost town. All the staff with sadness in their eyes, you could see Alfred trying to keep a straight face but through his windows of his soul, he was breaking. He and the Sun that lit this residence had known each other for over 40 years.

We go straight to John's chambers and Eric's mother is by his side, with her eyes and nose red from crying. I walk to her and give her a hug. Times like these, I don't know what to say but from my experience I learned a hug is all you can give without the questions, 'are you alright?'  Or the endless statements,
'He's in a better place'.

'It will be alright'.

'He's not gone, he'll remain in your heart through your memories' and it goes on and on and I understand they mean well but sometimes all you need is a hug and a shoulder to cry on.

Martha, Eric's mum excuses herself and its just me, Eric and John. He looked so frail and pale with an oxygen mask, tubes and him hooked on the vital signs monitoring machine that kept beeping.

Eric takes a seat on the side of the bed, holding John's frail hand. I stood besides Eric with my hand on shoulder. John opens his eyes, and he tries to smile, happy to see his son. He takes off the oxygen mask and tries to sit.

"Please don't stress yourself father". But the old man didn't listen and I moved closer to  help him sit up and placed pillows for support.

" Son, are you happy? " he asks and I froze.

"I'll give you two some privacy". I kiss Eric's hair and walk out.

Why did I kiss him? I hate him right now but I understand what he's going through. Plus his dad asking him whether his happy just got me thinking, at least let him die in peace knowing his son is happy.

Eric POV

" Son, are you happy?", the question hits me like a slap across the face. I can't show him, me and Alaine aren't even living together anymore. She kisses me, and I feel warmth as she walks out to give us privacy.
I smile, "yes father, I am happy. Alaine is a good woman".

" Eric, don't screw up. I know she's not exactly the kind of woman you normally date, but there's more to a woman that just her appearance ".

" I understand father, you don't have to worry about me", as tears I've been holding back ever since the news just come flooding down my cheeks.

"It's alright Eric, I've lived my life to the fullest, with the woman I love. I've seen my only son grow into a respectable man and I'm ready. All I ever wanted for you is to be happy and have what I and your mother have. I'm sorry for the harsh conditions I put-". As he starts coughing uncontrollably. 
" it's OK dad, don't stress please lie back down". As I lean in to give him a kiss on his forehead and I hear the monitor stop beeping to a flat line.

I know this is a sad chapter but its part of life.