Chapter 21

Amaraah was shocked to find that Ali allowed Azlan inside the house but nevertheless she sat down with him and Khizar to hear what he had to say. She looked at him with no sympathy, but she could see he hadn't slept as his ill and weak state made it so obvious. Ali too, felt the same for which he allowed him in. The awkward silence between them was telling Azlan something was wrong. He was looking here and there, hoping Dania might come out too but he couldn't see her anywhere.

"So, why are you here? Say it and go."

Ali said with a composed yet serious tone.

"Uncle, I know you don't want me here and neither you are happy to see me here and rightfully so. What I did was incredibly wrong, and I deserve all this anger, bitterness and punishment that now comes as a result of it. But, I just came to say that I realise I was really wrong with what I did to Dania. She didn't deserve any of it. I know it won't ever be enough, but I am here to ask for your and Dania's forgiveness. I am ashamed for everything I did, and I want to correct everything."

"Took your ego three months to realise it was of no use? Quite long of a time isn't it?"

Khizar's tone was bitter and had no empathy in it.

"Khizar, don't. Your father and I are talking to him. Don't interfere."

"Well, it is good that you realised your mistakes. But what now?"

Amaraah shot him a questioning look as if trying to figure out what he would say in response.

"I want to marry Dania. I want to take her to my home, as my wife so I can give her the status and respect she deserves. I know I may look like a demanding person, but I am honestly not trying to be one. I have so much to put right and this is the biggest thing that needs correcting."

Amaraah exchanged looks with Ali who had shown mild approval through his eyes and Khizar who also looked as if he wanted this to happen.

"It took me three months and I know that is too long but every past day in these months, not a single day I have slept, not a single day I have felt peace or satisfaction. I have nightmares when I try to sleep, Dania's face would come to my mind every time I tried not to think about anything. I have caused her enough suffering. Now I want to do everything right and I just hope that you will give me a chance. She is the only woman I have ever loved and despite all my flaws and all my mistakes, one thing remains true that I was never dishonest to her about my love. My love for her is the only truth, I hold dear to myself. And that's what disgusts me more about how I let her down when she needed me the most."

There was pain in his voice, tears in his eyes and a fragility in his stance and Ali, Amaraah and Khizar could see it very well. He was genuinely sorry for what he did, and he wanted a chance. Considering the situations of the time, Amaraah and Ali were willing to give him one.

"Please let me speak to her once. Please give me one chance. I promise, I will sort out everything no matter what it takes from me."

The desperation in his voice was proving his honesty but how to tell him that he was maybe late because Dania had left.

"Dania is not here, Azlan."

He shot his head up and looked at Ali who had just said this with disappointment written on his face.

"She is not here?"

"No. She moved out of here when you didn't agree to marry her."

"Where is she now?"

"She doesn't want you to know but considering how guilty you are, I think its better if you knew. She is in Islamabad."

Azlan felt a pang of pain in his heart. She went away, far away just so she doesn't have to answer people's questions. It was all because of him and he took so long to realise it. He wronged her so much. He was a fool all along.

"Can I get her address? Please?"

"I don't know..."

"You can." Ali cut Amaraah and looked at her with his assuring eyes and gave Azlan the address.

------------

"You shouldn't have given him the address yet, Ali. I know he was very guilty, but we had to ask Dania first. I don't know how she will react. Is she even ready to see him?"

"Look, there is no denying that he was ashamed and sorry for his mistakes. One way or another he would go and find her so why not now? And Amaraah, regardless of how angry and upset Dania might be at Azlan, right now, both of them need each other. It will take Azlan time to make it up to her but right now, they need to get married as soon as possible, the rest can be dealt with after. If I come in between all this just because I am angry at him, I will be so unfair not just to my daughter but also to her child and its identity and I can't do that to her."

Amaraah nodded because she knew he was right. Dania was going through a crucial time in her life, the time she should be living fully because it's so special, but she can't due to the circumstances she was in and agreeing to marry Azlan would be the first step at making everything better.

"You are right. I just hope and pray everything works in the favour of them."

"Everything will, InshAllah."

------------

He had landed in Islamabad and was now in the car on his way to Saira's house where Dania was staying. He was feeling relieved that Ali and Amaraah didn't stop him from reaching Dania, but he was also scared and nervous of how she might react at seeing him. He had really let her down and had broken her trust and confidence she had in him and her love for him. And not just to her, but he had also been heartless towards his own child. If he had married Dania then, everything wouldn't be so messed now. But now, he would make everything right. No matter what it takes, he would do everything to give Dania all her rights, love, support and respect she deserves.

The car stopped outside the house and Azlan felt as if he was trembling. So much it takes of one to come to realise his mistakes and accept he was wrong and flawed. He was feeling that right now. But he had to do this. He had to ask Dania for her one chance. So, he got to the door and pressed the doorbell.

The door opened, and he found an unfamiliar woman at the door. It was Saira. She gave him a simple smile and allowed him in. Amaraah had told her that Azlan was coming but Dania was not aware of it yet.

"Sit here, I will call Dania."

"If you don't mind, can I go and see her in her room?"

Saira looked hesitated at first but then agreed. She understood what he was hinting at. She wouldn't come to meet this way but this way she won't be able to avoid him for long.

He took slow steps towards her room towards his right and calmly knocked on the door.

"Yes, Khala you can come..."

She had walked up to the door and her words were unfinished as she stopped in her tracks in shock seeing Azlan at the door.

Her expression of ease turned into seriousness and anger.

There was a long way to go. And certainly not an easy one either.

--------------