Chapter 23

The Nikah was an incredibly private affair. Families of the two travelled to Islamabad as it was best to have the ceremony away from the doubtful eyes of people in Karachi considering the pregnancy of Dania.

Dania had opted for the simplest dress in peach colour. She didn't have any idea that the day she always looked forward to would take place in such simplicity and in such circumstances that she wasn't even looking forward to it now that it was happening. Nonetheless, she was satisfied that her child will be born with an identity.

Azlan, too, respecting Dania's wish to keep it all simple, went for a plain off white Shalwar Kameez. His hair was tidy and pushed back while his sleeves were rolled up. He was nervous not just for the Nikah but also for what was to come for him after. He had to do so much to win back Dania's trust and her love all over again. She was upset and she was justified in doing so but that had created a huge distance between them and it was all on and how he would overcome it.

"Maa?"

"What's the matter?"

"Am I being too cruel on Azlan?"

"What made you think that?"

"I don't know, I feel like I should forgive him, but I feel like he has disappointed me too much and I am not ready to be my old self with him yet."

Amaraah came close to Dania and sat beside her and held her hand.

"Three months isn't a long time but the circumstances you were in were not normal either. I know we never talked about it because I didn't want to hurt you but what happened in America was simply wrong so if he was to blame, you were too. But then, what Azlan did was worse altogether. And the gap of three months has made your relationship weak. This marriage will naturally improve it all. Your child's coming will improve it all. And as far as forgiving Azlan is concerned, I would only say that be ready to forgive him because it has to happen at some point but don't give it to him, let him earn it. All my prayers are for you and your life ahead."

Dania nodded with tears in her eyes and hugged her mother. They heard a knock on the door and saw Khizar entering with a smile on his face followed by the Mufti Sahab with the Nikah form in his hand.

It was time. It was about to happen.

After Dania signed the Nikah papers, Mufti Sahab went back out to get Azlan's answer and signature.

They were then declared husband and wife.

--------------

Azlan and Dania were going to take the flight back to Karachi straight away while Behraam, Ali, Khizar and Amaraah would come the next day. Throughout their drive to the airport, she didn't speak to him at all and nor did she try and look at him. On the other hand, he was stealing glances at her every now and then but didn't speak. He understood her this much, she was in no mood of speaking.

As they reached the airport, without saying anything, Azlan reached her side and held her hand and walked inside. Dania didn't hesitate, nor did she pull it away but was instead pretending as if nothing happening around was bothering her.  But his grip was assuring her security and giving her a comforting touch and she couldn't deny it that it was affecting her. It was moving her. Towards him only.