Chapter 8- The Coals

Today is the Choosing Ceremony.  I thought this would be easy, I mean I thought I was Dauntless all along. But now with my new found Divergence, my stance is shaken a little.

I dress in black pants and a black tank top and combat boots, as usual. When I leave my room, Zeke, Uriah, and Mom were sitting on the couch.

"Today is a big day. I hope you realize that whatever you choose, I will always love you." Mom said standing to hug me. I embraced her, on the verge of tears. Zeke stood up and handed me a little black box.

I opened it ad found a bracelet. It had the Dauntless flames, our faction symbol, in jet black. A black string tied to both sides.

"It's beautiful. " I whispered giving Zeke a hug.

"Let's go, we'll be late for the train." Mom said, ushering us out the door. I slid the bracelet around my wrist and walked out the door.

When I jumped on the train, I was greeted by some nervous faces. Marlene and Uriah sat and talked quietly. Lynn leaned against the wall nonchalantly, trying to mask the nervousness. I slid down against the wall and put my head in my hands. No one wanted to talk about the inevitable. Some of our friends we may never see again.

Someone yelled and jumped off the train. We all got up and followed suit. We ran through the streets like a burst pipe. Dauntless never gets old.

When we arrived at the Hub, a Stiff opened the door for us. We ran up the stairs, our steps thundering. Some of us will never reverse this situation. We will choose a different identity, a different way of life. When we reached the main auditorium, the older and younger Dauntless went to the stands,  and the 16 year olds went to line up.

I stood next to Uriah and a Stiff. Finally, the ceremony began. It started with a speech. Then, one by one, the 16 year olds were called. Some returned to their old factions, son left for others. When a Condit boy switched to Erudite, a young woman shrieked and put her head in her hands.

I looked at the bowls. Uri grabbed my hand and squeezed it. He whispered into my ear, "Do what you think is best." He leaned back and focused his gaze onto the bowls. Since Since were going in alphabetical order, I was before Uriah. I tired around and looked at all the factions. Where do I belong best? I thought.

"Tris Pedrad."

I walked slowly to the center. I cut my hand; it hurt a little, but I'm used to pain. I couldn't fit into Erudite,  no way, no how.  But Abnegation? Could I live in that peaceful society? I wouldn't have to worry for my life ever again. I could hide my Divergence easier. I realized the blood was pooling in my hand and was about to spill onto my shoes.

I tipped my hand over the glass bowls, relieved with the choice I made. I couldn't fit in anywhere else after all.

The speaker announced,

"Dauntless. "

-----
Shorter chapter, buuuuut TGIF! More stories to come soon!