Chapter 13- Lucky Catch

"Uriah!" I screamed.

"Hold on Tris! I-I'll figure something out!" he yelled back.

"No, I'm gonna just let go and fall to my death." I mutter sarcastically.

I look up at my hands. My knuckles at white, and my fingers are turning purple. I am going to fall. I am going to die.

Suddenly I hear a groan, and the huge ferris wheel begins to turn. I sigh in relief. When I look at the ground, I realized that I will have to roll out of the way and drop be for the carts drag across my body. Then I will die. On three, 1,2,

3.

I dropped to the ground and rolled. The cart caught the edge of my jacket and ripped a piece off. At least it wasn't my flesh. I closed my eyes. I almost died today. Feet were pounding against concrete coming closer.  I didn't move.

"Tris. Tris, ad you okay? Tris!" Someone said.

I opened my eyes. Stormy blue eyes looked back at me. "Four?" I croaked. "I saw you and Uriah climb the Ferris wheel, an-and I saw you slip so I turned the ferris wheel on. Are you okay?" he explained.

"I think so. Just a little bruised. I might have sprained my ankle, too." I replied.

He gave me his hand and helped my off the ground.

"Come on. Let's go get that flag." I said and started running, or what you call running with a sprained ankle, to the camp.

As soon as we arrived at our base, Marlene jumped from her position and ran towards us. “What were you thinking?! You practically told the other team, ‘Hey, here we are; come and get us!’ We are doomed!” she said dramatically.

“Hey Mar, lay off. She just fell from a ferris wheel. While you guys were over here twiddling your thumbs, Tris climbed the ferris wheel.” Uriah said from behind me. He grabbed me into a hug from behind. “I’m glad that you are alright.” He whispered into my ear.

I nodded. Now everyone was looking at me with looks from admiration to awe to envy. I guess they were waiting for me to give a plan. I thought for a moment. “I think that we should split into two groups. Half of us should engage the other team head on while the other half sneaks around the back to steal the flag.”

“Okay. Uriah, Christina, Tris, and I will sneak behind. Everyone else engage head on.” Four commands us. I nod and head to my group, but when I take a step, pain shoots through my ankle. I take a sharp breath. Uriah notices and comes beside me. “What happened?” he asked.

“Oh, you know, I just casually fell from a ferris wheel and messed up my ankle, just like I do everyday.” I said sarcastically. “Here.” Uriah pulled me to the ground. He began to rip his t-shirt. “Uri, we don’t have time. I’ll be fine, just let me-“

“Shoosh.”

I lie back down and let him wrap my ankle. It did feel better when he was done. When Uriah was done, he stood up and offered me his hand. I took it. When I was about halfway up, Uriah let me go, and I fell back onto the ground with a thud. “Thanks Big Brother.” I muttered, standing up on my own.

Christina had already started running. “Come on, guys!” she yelled over her shoulder. Uriah, Four, and I began to run with the rest of the team to get the flag.

++++

By the time we arrived at our destination, the woods had turned into a battlefield. There wasn’t a tree without a paint splatter on its bark. I must have slowed down to marvel at the sight because a few seconds Uriah came running into me. He muttered something under his breath about me being the slow Pedrad.

Once we reached the flag, I had lost every man in my group but Four. “I’ll cover you!” he yelled while I sprinted toward the flag. Someone was coming up my left side. I pushed myself faster. When I hit the tree, I jumped using my momentum to carry me higher. I yanked the neon fabric from the tree, and landed on the ground, sadly on my bad ankle. I let out a whoop of victory before collapsing to the ground in a heap. Someone else in my group joined in the victory cry, and soon everyone was shouting and hollering. Uriah came over and propped me up on his shoulder. I smiled when we walked back to the group.

We all lined up on the tracks, ready to board the train after a long night. Four came up beside me. “Do you need help in the train?” he asked. “No, I’m 16, not 6, Four.” I retorted. I turned away from him, feeling bad that I snapped at him, but I can’t let him think that I was some kicked puppy just because of some stupid injury.

The train was approaching quickly, and I had to gain speed, especially with my dumb ankle. I lined my body up with the door. On 3. 1, 2,3. Suddenly my ankle gave out and I slipped from the doorway. Only one hand was still in the doorway, and my body was being pulled under the train. I yelled out a high pitched “help”. I squeezed my eyes shut.

It felt like an eternity later, someone grabbed my arm and pulled me into the train. A low voice said, “16, huh.” Four. “That was a fluke accident.” I retorted. He just rolled his eyes and said, “That’s twice in one day. One night actually.”

I collapsed on the wall by Uriah and Christina. Uriah nodded to the door and said, “Nice mount” with a smirk. I rolled my eyes and pulled a paintball from my pocket. I squeezed it, and the paint squirted all over Uriah’s face.

“Eww!” He said in a high-pitched voice. He wiped some of the paint off of his face and wiped it on mine. I squeezed to paintball, but the end was pointing the wrong way, and I squirted all over Christina. Now it was her turn to screech.

We laughed and joked the whole way home. This is why I stayed in Dauntless. They are fun. They are free.