Let Me Go

Isaac. How did I not know he was in my music class? Surely he's friends with some students in class. Why haven't I heard them talk about him? Isaac. He was James's best friend. How could he do that to him? The fact that James still thinks about it makes me feel even more horrible about it.

I turn over to my phone. It reads 5:00am. I might as well get up. No point in sleeping a little longer. I roll out of bed and get into the bathroom. I brush my teeth and all I could think about is when Isaac is coming back to school. I could ask around but what excuse could I say when they ask how do I know him?

I can't say I'm a friend. What if they talk to him about me? I'll have to wait until he gets back to school. I wonder if he's only in my music class. Could he also be in my Science class? English? Lunch?
~~~~~~~
I'm completely ready. It's been two hours that I've been in my room. 7:00am. I wish time would go slower. Now, I don't even have the energy to go to school. And, it's only Tuesday!

"Guys, hurry up and get ready so you have time to eat." I hear Chris call out.

I'm guessing mom went out early. This job is very important to her. And somehow she still has time for us. I'm proud of her. Ever since dad left, she promised us all that she'd never ever leave us. She's all we have left. Im not going to lie, sometimes I think about him. In my closet, I have a picture of him. No one knows I have it.

I'm scared that if I say something, they'll think I'm crazy or depressed. I have it because I don't want to forget his face. I mean, he looks older now but I'll never forget those eyes. Those eyes made me feel safe once. I'll never forget his voice. He always told me how perfect I am and how much he loves me.

I grab my bag, along with my phone, and quickly leave my room. Dad is gone. I don't know why I want to keep that reminder. It will only make things worse for myself. I go to the kitchen and grab a granola bar.

"No stealing chairs this morning?" Alex strolls in right after me.

"Nope. It's all yours." I shrug.

He grabs a bowl of cereal and a cup of yogurt. He sits on the family's favorite seat and eats. I open my granola bar and take a bite of it. I wonder if this time they'll escort me to my classroom. They shouldn't have a reason to. I was very good yesterday. Oh crap! I forgot I have detention today with Miss. Marten!

Right on time, Chris makes his way into the kitchen. he passed by me and goes straight to the fridge.

"Chris, you love me, right?" I smile.

"Where is this going?" He takes out a bottle of water.

I take a deep breath. He's going to ask what caused me to get detention. Normally, I don't talk back to teachers like that. It's going to be strange. He is going to start suspecting something.

"I may have gotten into some trouble." I take another bite of my bar.

"What the hell did you do? How could you possibly get in trouble on the first day of school?" Chris scolds.

"I had to pee and Miss. Marten wasn't going to let me. Long story short... I said something along the lines of... 'I'll pee on the floor." I say.

Chris looks at me, confused.

"So you mean to tell me that you talked back to a teacher?" He asks.

I shrug. Jason and Dylan finally make it down stairs. They all look at me since Chris is staring me down. Why is he so mad? I'll just be in school for a little more today. Probably for about 10 extra minutes in school. It's not that bad.