I Wish

Miss. Marten. She wants me to sing so she can finally put me in my part. I'm kind of nervous for two reasons. One, I'm not a good singer. Two, Isaac is back from vacation. I froze up the moment I heard his name being called out from one of the girls. He has to be the Isaac.

"Alright class, settle down. It's time for Lea to sing for us." Miss. Marten interrupts my thoughts.

My heart instantly drops. I don't think she's heard the news. Which means I'll finally have one regular class. I try my best to stand up and not seem nervous. I don't even know what song to sing that shows what I can do. Scratch that, I can't do anything! I walk over to the front and take a deep breath. I'll just have to assume that they won't make fun of me. It would be the least thing they'd worry about at this time.

"Even though everyone knows you, please introduce yourself and the song you'll be singing." She writes some notes on her paper.

"I don't know what to sing." I say.

"You've had plenty of time to find a song. I need to know your range so I can place you, correctly. Our vocal concert is in two months. I don't have time to keep pushing this back." She explains. "Sing or deal with the counselor when you switch your schedule."

I scoff. I would much rather do that than sing. I quickly look to the ground and wonder what to do. I wouldn't be in a class with Isaac. I could also take the time to switch my class accordingly to make it fit with James and Kayla. Why didn't I think of this before?

"Give the girl a break." A voice defends.

I snap my head up and looks around. Who spoke? No one likes me here. Who would do that?

"A break? I'm sorry, you've been on vacation for the majority of the semester. She's had a break since she came. Focus on looking at your voice part and the lyrics to the song you need to learn in a month." She snaps.

The students around start to murmur things. Others laugh a little. I'm guessing he speaks his mind often. Why is he defending me?

"I thought the concert was in two months." He replies.

"I want it learned in a month. It needs to be perfected before the concert." Miss. Marten says. "Stop arguing with me, Isaac."

"Fine! I'll—— I'll do it." I instantly regret my choice. "My name is Lea Hill and I'll be singing... um..."

My mind instantly races for a good song. A song well enough for me to sing with the smallest mistakes. I should've prepared for this. The taping of Miss. Marten's pen makes me more nervous. She's getting impatient. What do I sing?

"Make it to me, Sam Smith?" I cringe.

Lea... seriously? That's not an easy song!

"Okay." She writes some more. "You'll be singing it without a track."

My face falls. I can feel my whole face turn pale. Um... now track?

"It's so I can hear just your voice." She quickly says.

Yeah, my face definitely said it all.  Alright... I have to get over it. I can do this. I close my eyes and imagine I'm in my room. I'd normally have these moments where I sing out loud. My brothers hate it but my mom would always hype me up. I take a deep breath and try not to take up a lot of her time.

My mind runs away to you

With the thought I hope you'll see

Can't see where it's wandered to

But I know where it wants to be I'm waiting patiently though time is moving slow

I have one vacancy and I wanted you to know that