Chapter 3

"There you are. What took you so long?" Baileigh asks as I sit down at our lunch table.

I rip the plastic wrapper off my fork and begin to eat. "Sorry. I was helping a new student find his way around the school," I explain.

The girls instantly get interested in the news.

"Really? Who is he?" Rebekah asks.

I watch them search the cafeteria for a new face.

"He isn't in here. I think he's in his history class," I say, remembering US History as his 3B class.

"Oh," they say a little disappointed.

"Is he cute?" Lexie asks.

I hesitate before I give my answer. "Um yea, I mean he's attractive."

Rebekah gives me a look and says, "He's really cute isn't he?"

I give in and nod my head. The girls squeal a little, and I laugh at their reaction.

"He's a senior. I have Physical Science with him," I say, opening my juice.

"Man, I wish I was in your class," Lexie says, pouting.

I laugh and take a long swig.

"Do you know his name?" Baileigh asks.

I smile, "His name's Hayes."

"You're blushing," Ashia teases.

"Oh shut up," I laugh and roll my eyes.

Before they can ask another question about Hayes, I quickly change the subject.

"What are you studying for, Ashia?" I ask, noticing her notes.

"US History," she says and pretends to be sick.

We all laugh as Baileigh says, "That test isn't 'til Thursday."

"I know, but your girl ain't trying to fail," she points to herself.

We all nod our heads and murmur in agreement until I notice the door to the cafeteria opening. My heart momentarily stutters as Scott Morris struts in and makes his way to the back corner of the cafeteria. He slows his pace slightly before wrapping his arms around his pretty blonde girlfriend, making her pivot to look over her shoulder. Once she notices who's behind her, a bright smile takes over her face. I manage to tear my eyes away as Scott gives her multiple small kisses on her cheek. He must've stopped by the lunch room on his way to the bathroom. 

Scott is the one guy I've never been able to get over. The most pathetic thing about it is that we never even dated. We've always just been friends, but I think he knows or used to know about my crush on him. Knowing me I probably made it obvious and embarrassed myself for fawning over a boy who never noticed me. And the last thing I want to see is him cuddling up to his girlfriend, Hannah, while I'm trying to eat.

I try to listen to the girls' conversation, but my mood and appetite vanished shortly after Scott's surprise visit. Finally, the bell rings for the next lunch rotation. 

"See you guys later," I say throwing away my trash and walking toward my next class.

"Later," they say as we go in separate directions.

-

I get home from school and walk into the kitchen to grab a snack.

"Hey, did you have a good day?" my mom asks.

"Yeah," I respond deciding on a bag of chips.

"I talked to Dalton after he got out of class, and he said that he's gonna come home in a few more weeks," she says.

A happy feeling courses through my body after I hear the news.

"Great. I miss him," I smile.

My mom smiles at me, "I know; he's missing us, too. This is definitely his hardest semester."

Dalton is my oldest brother and has been away at college. He comes home occasionally to see us, and I love it. Dalton and I have always been close, and he is one of the few people besides my mom who really understands me. Even my own friends know me to a certain extent. I wish I didn't hold them at a distance, but I don't know how to change it. 

Trevor is the middle child, who is also in college, but we aren't as close. Which is weird because we are so similar. All three of us were really close when we were younger, but when Trevor started going through puberty, he started shutting people out. I never knew why; I wondered if I did something wrong, but I've always been too scared to ask. So even though Trevor still lives at home, we hardly say a word to each other; we just keep to ourselves.

-Wednesday-

Orlando and I walk into the cafeteria and sit down at our usual spot.

"Breckyn, I wish you could find someone," he says out of nowhere.

I look up confused, "What? Why?"

"You've been crushing on Scott for the longest time, and you never even tried to go after him. I don't know I just don't want you to get caught up in your old feelings for Scott when you could find someone who can reciprocate those feelings for you," Orlando says.

I sigh, "Orlando, you know how I am. I'm way too shy to ask a guy out, let alone Scott. I get what you're saying though, and I appreciate it."

Orlando nods his head slowly and gives me a comforting smile.

I know Orlando means well, but I don't know how to let go of my feelings for Scott. I mean I've tried multiple times. I've dreamt of some guy coming along who makes me forget about Scott and falls madly in love with me, but those have only been fantasies. I've read numerous romance novels, and as much as I've constructed scenarios of men declaring their love for me, I just don't think it's going to happen for me. I mean I'm only 16, so I still have time, but I don't know. Literally, no guys notice me, ever. Friends and family tell me how great I am, that I'm funny, smart, pretty, and any guy would be lucky to have me, yet I never get noticed. Not to be that girl that's not like other girls because I'm literally like every other girl just on the introverted, anxious side of the spectrum. 

After a little while, the girls show up.

"Did you hear about Hayes?" Baileigh asks.

My hearing gets stronger as I find interest in the subject. "What about him?" I ask.

"Yesterday, he tried out for the football team and made it. He's the new starting quarterback," Rebekah answers.

"Really? Wow. He must be pretty good if he's already our starter," I say.

The bell rings, and all of us go our separate ways, starting our usual day of school.