Chapter 6

Weed, alcohol, blaring music, and couples grinding on each other are all over the place. Don't get me wrong. I like to have fun but to a limit. If someone wants to get drunk, high, or whatever, that's fine. Do whatever makes you happy. I'm not a party person though. I don't mind drinking as much as smoking. It makes me more anxious than normal, and I get really paranoid when I'm high. 

However, what I see in front of me brings me to the conclusion that nearly everyone here is fucked up. I feel awkward around sober people, so I can only imagine how I'm going to thrive in this situation. 

"Yeah, I'm calling an Uber," I say turning on my heel and pulling out my phone.

The girls turn me back around to face the house.

"No, Breckyn. It's a party. Drinking and smoking are expected, maybe not quite to this level, but it's still fine. I don't plan on drinking or smoking since I'm driving, but you guys can do what y'all want," Rebekah says.

I look around the house one more time to see if there is anyone who's just chilling. There are maybe like 5 other possibly sober people; the rest of the school is having themselves a lit-ass time.

Ashia and Zeke walk up and take in the sight in front of us.

"Well, I can't say I'm surprised," she says.

"Let's just focus on having a good time. If we want to drink, smoke, whatever, we can. If we don't, we don't have to. If it really gets out of hand, we can dip," Baileigh says.

Come on, Breckyn. Don't be such a pussy. 

"You're right. Let's go," I say gathering her courage.

All six of us walk into the house. I take notice of the minimal space to walk between people and the booming music throughout the house. We squeeze through the bodies and look around to see if we know anyone else here. 

"There's Jacob. We're gonna go say hey. See y'all later!" Lexie hollers over the music pulling Baileigh with her quickly.

My eyebrows scrunch together. Why would Lexie and Baileigh just leave? And to say hey to Jacob?

"Oh, there's Trinity," Ashia says.

"Wait, shouldn't we," Zeke tries to say but Ashia pulls him after her, leaving just as fast as Lexie and Baileigh.

What the hell?

"Gracie? Gracie! I'll catch you later, Breckyn!" Rebekah yells quickly following Gracie.

"No, you guys go ahead. I'll stay here," I say to no one.

I sigh and walk around to see if I know anybody else. It is at this moment that I realize that the only people I know just ditched me minutes ago. 

I push my way through the crowd only to find the "It" couple themselves.

Scott and Hannah both have red cups in their hands, talking to their group of friends. Scott has his hand low on her hip and says something in her ear that makes her giggle. He pulls her closer to him before kissing her.

I get that pain in my chest again, and I quickly look away before the pain becomes unbearable. I look to my right to see the back patio and quickly walk toward the door.

Once I'm outside, I let out a big sigh. Will these feelings just disappear? I'm tired of my mood being dimmed just from seeing them.

I look up at the big, black starry sky and wish my friends would barge through the patio door. But I'm tired of having the same conversation with them and hearing the same pieces of advice.