Chapter 7

The next two weeks go by pretty quickly. Most nights Hayes and I text or FaceTime until midnight. The conversation goes on and on; it never gets dull or boring.

I'm not really used to this kind of attention, but I like it. It's different being noticed by a guy and having him actually listen to what you're saying.

At this point, I know for sure that I like Hayes, and it's a little scary. Getting to know him and all of his little quirks and flaws makes him so real. Along with this, the possibility, AKA inevitability, that he might not like me back is very much real. After getting to know Hayes, I realize that I really just like the idea of Scott and the illusion of him I created in my head. The way I feel about Hayes is way more intense than what I ever felt for Scott. 

He gives me 100% of his attention when I'm with him. He's caring and sweet. His sense of humor is so similar to mine, and it makes me smile whenever he laughs at my dumb jokes. For the longest time, only my brother understood my humor.

Hayes brings this positive energy wherever he goes. I can't ever be in a bad mood around him; he radiates happiness and can always make me feel better. And Hayes is definitely one of the most attractive guys I've ever known. His crystal blue eyes put me into a trance, and his smile lights up any room he's in.

Whenever we are working together on an assignment or lab in physical science, he doodles daisies and sunflowers on my notes because they're my favorite. Sometimes when we are walking down the hall to homeroom or Physical Science, our hands brush against each other, and I feel goosebumps arise all over my body.

Only his touch can completely calm me down. Even when it feels like I'm about to have a breakdown, just the slight touch of his thumb against the back of my hand or the smallest hug can settle my nerves. It's something I've never experienced before, and I don't know what to make of it.

The dismissal bell brings me out of my deep thoughts.

"Bye guys, see you next class," Coach Nichols says loudly as the herd of students walk out the door.

I walk down the hall toward the commons and head outside to the front of the school, where the buses are parked.

"Hey, Breckyn. Wait up!" I hear behind me.

I turn around to see Hayes jogging over to me with his usual cheerful smile plastered on his flawless face.

I smile back at him, "Hey."

"Do you need a ride?" he asks.

I shake my head, "Oh no, I'm taking the bus home."

"Let me rephrase. Would you rather ride the bus home or ride home with me?" 

"Well, obviously I'd rather ride with you. The bus kind of pales in comparison," I joke.

Hayes rolls his eyes but still smiles at my humor. "Well, I wouldn't want to take away the glamorous experience of riding the bus from you if you really had your heart set on it. However, I'd be more than happy to drive you."

I laugh for a beat until I see that he's not chuckling with me. "Wait, really? Are you sure? I really don't mind riding the bus."

"I wouldn't ask if it was a bother. Come on," he says leading me in the opposite direction.

"Okay, thanks. But you really don't have to," I say walking next to him.

"I want to."

I blush slightly as he leads the way. He unlocks a black jeep and tosses his backpack into the backseat. I go to the passenger side to open the door but a hand blocks me from doing so.