Chapter 16

I finish editing my video and click on the Instagram icon. I really hope people like my song. I finished writing it a few days ago, and I finally have the courage to share it with others. I sigh shaking my nerves off and click share. I wait for the video to load, and soon, it's live on my timeline. I quickly get off of Instagram and turn back to the show on my TV, allowing my mind to be distracted for some time.

-a few hours later-

My phone starts to go crazy, and I pick it up and my mouth drops.

Comments, likes, and followers start flooding in. I click on the notifications and see what's going on.

baileigh.k: Yes ma'am!! This song is so good!!
s.estremos: Oh my gosh Breckyn! Your voice is beautiful!💕
bekah_allyn: I love your voice and this song! So beautiful❤️🥰
hayesgrier: Wonder who inspired this one😏 So good baby😘
lexie.martinezzz: I'm losing my mind right now! It's so good!🔥😍
g.0.d.d.e.s.s (Ashia): YES BRECKY!!! I'm currently in tears😭😭
iamorlonce (Orlando): Okay Breckyn!! You better come through with the vocals!

I smile widely at all of the comments on my video. I'm so happy everyone is loving my song.

-The next day-

The entire way to school, I notice more and more notifications from Instagram. I keep refreshing my page and the followers are going up and up. So many people are watching, liking, commenting on, and sharing my song. I never expected this kind of feedback.

"This is amazing. I can't believe it," I say, finally looking up at Hayes.

He is just as surprised as I am. He pulls into his usual spot in the school parking lot.

"I'm so proud of you. Isn't this like the first song you've ever written?" Hayes asks.

I nod my head. "Yeah, well my first real song. I tried years ago, but they were all flops."

Hayes kisses my temple before draping his arm over my shoulder as we walk into school. We meet up with the girls, and they continue to give me compliments on my song as well as my other classmates. After a little while, the bell rings for 1st block. Hayes walks me down to the choir room and gives me a sweet kiss on the cheek before heading to his class.

We go through our usual vocal warm-ups and run through the songs we are singing at our Christmas concert.

"Hey, Breckyn, how did you write your song?" I hear Kenaya ask to my left.

I shrug. "I don't know really. I just wrote from a real-life experience."

Then I hear my choir teacher, Mrs. Sparkman, gasp.

"Breckyn, you wrote a song?" She asks, walking over to me.

I nod and respond, "Yes ma'am."

"Do you mind singing it for us?" She asks suddenly.

The rest of the girls in our class join in, encouraging me to sing.

"Umm, yeah sure," I say as I go to retrieve my computer.

I pull up the audio file of my song and set my computer on top of the piano. I begin to sing as soon as the music starts. I can see Mrs. Sparkman smiling at me as the rest of the choir circles around me, nodding their heads to the beat.

Dream boy, you got me
Better than the fantasies
White picket fences
Rose gardens and limousines
I told the stars to find a boy like you
And baby you know I'll be your dream girl too

Once the song's over, everyone is clapping and cheering. I smile as Mrs. Sparkman gloats over my singing and the song.

"Oh my gosh, Breckyn. That was so good!" She exclaims.

"Thank you," I respond; my cheeks already aching from smiling so wide.

"Mrs. Sparkman, can she please sing this song at our concert?" Rebekah asks from beside me.

"If she wants to. What do you say, Breckyn?" Mrs. Sparkman asks with all seriousness.

My mouth drops as I nod quickly. "Yes, oh my gosh. I would love to."

She smiles at me and the bell rings for homeroom. I collect my things and walk to my homeroom class. It takes a moment for everything to hit me. I am going to sing my song live in front of an actual audience.

-

"Wait seriously?" Baileigh asks nearly tripping over her feet.

I nod my head while biting my lip. "Yeah, she said I could sing my song at our Christmas concert," I say.

"That's amazing, baby. I'm so happy for you," a familiar voice whispers in my ear while wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Oh my gosh! Hayes, what are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to be in class?" I ask after my heart nearly jumped out of my chest from shock.

He holds up a slip of paper that said 'Hall Pass'. "I asked to go to the bathroom, so I could see you for a bit. I overheard you guys when I walked over, and I wanted to surprise you."

"Bro, it took all of me to not laugh at how he was sneaking behind you!" Lexie says while clutching her chest.

Hayes and the girls laugh with her as he pulls me into a tight hug. I inhale his cologne and smile into his chest as he kisses my forehead softly.

"Okay, now go back to class before you get in trouble," I say pulling away from him.

"Ugh. Fine. I'll see you guys later. Later, babe," Hayes says kissing me on the cheek and hurrying back to class.

We continue our walk to the cafeteria for lunch and talk about whatever is coming up this week in our classes. 

"See you guys later," I say to the girls after the bell rings signaling second lunch.

"Later," the girls call after me.

As I'm walking to the buses outside to go to the career complex, I notice Scott and Hannah in the commons talking to each other. I don't pay too much attention to them and continue my path to my 3rd block class. I smile to myself so thrilled with how this school year has turned out, and it's only halfway over.