Chapter 29

I pick up a tray from the lunch line and punch my number in to pay for my food. I walk briskly over to the table with the girls and set my stuff down.

Before I can get a single word out of my mouth, the girls start to ask me various questions, all pertaining to the past week.

"Everything is fine. Trevor was able to come home the day after. My brothers, Meg, Hayes, and I spent the majority of the week doing various things with each other and reminiscing on old memories when me and the boys were younger," I answer as I rip the plastic off of my fork.

"And Trevor's doing all right? Everything is back on track?" Ashia asks, unwrapping her sandwich slowly.

"Yes, he's great. I'm sorry I wasn't able to update you guys as much as I wanted" I say, looking from one face to another.

They all wave me off. "Don't worry about that. We're just happy that he's okay," Rebekah says.

"Yeah," Baileigh chimes. "We held multiple prayer circles and sent positive thoughts to your family."

I chuckle lightly. "Thank you guys for being so great through all this. I'm so appreciative of all the thoughts and prayers you guys sent."

"Of course. We're all here for you and your family. Ten toes down, well technically 40 toes, but you get the point," Lexie says as I laugh heartily. 

"I'm sorry about your original plans for Spring Break. I know you and Hayes were excited to go to North Carolina," Ashia says screwing the top back to her water.

"Yeah, me too. But we'll have the entire summer to plan a visit," I say as a grin creeps onto my face. "I still can't believe he gave up his Spring Break with his family just to make sure I was doing okay. I told him Trevor would be fine, and that my family had each other, but he still showed up."

I continue expressing my thoughts with them. "I've never met anyone like Hayes. He's so kind and affirmative. He knows when to joke around and make me laugh and when to be serious and listen. He never dismisses my feelings or makes me feel crazy. He validates me when I need it, but he knows when to call me out in a respectful way. I feel so safe with him. Like I never have to look over my shoulder or be on edge because he's already looking out for me. He knows exactly how to calm me down when I'm anxious and comfort me when I'm overwhelmed. I've never felt this way about anyone before."

"Are saying you love Hayes? Are you in love with him?" Rebekah asks gently bringing me out of my thoughts.

The question floors me at first. Do I? I don't have to think about it for another second before answering.

"I do," I say as tears fill my eyes at the admission. "I'm in love with Hayes."

"Oh my gosh! Brecky's in love!" Ashia exclaims throwing her arms around me.

"They grow up so fast," Lexie says wiping fake tears from her face. 

Baileigh starts chanting in a sing-song voice, "Breckyn's in love! Breckyn's in love!"

I dry my eyes with a napkin and wave them all off. "Okay, okay, quiet down. Don't make me regret telling you guys this."

"So, when are you gonna tell him?" Lexie asks.

I sigh. "I'm not sure. Hell, I just realized it myself. I know Hayes really likes me, but does he love me, too? If he doesn't right now, could he later on?"

"Oh, definitely," Rebekah says with an affirmative nod.

"Are you kidding? I think Hayes has been in love with you from the beginning. That boy is such a simp for you," Baileigh says.