Chapter 10

-Next Friday; Homecoming-

I make my way out of the school building and look for my mom's car. Since the Homecoming game is tonight, Hayes couldn't drive me home, so I asked my mom this morning if she could pick me up.

After looking around for a minute, my mom's white Accord pulls up to the school. I toss my bag in the back seat and slide into the front seat.

"Hey, did you have a good day?" She asks, pulling out of the car rider line.

"Yeah, the day just seemed to drag though," I answer, leaning back in my seat and letting out a sigh.

"I know, but it's Homecoming! Are you excited?" She beams at me.

I smile widely. "Yeah, I still can't believe I have a date."

"And with the guy you like," she sings.

I blush and look out the window. Normally, I would try to deny how I feel about Hayes, but at this point, it's inevitable. I really, really like him, and it's starting to feel like he could like me back. 

I run through my usual shower routine once we get home. Once I'm out of the shower, I pick out the outfit I'm wearing to the game tonight: a pair of high-waisted jean shorts, Hayes' away jersey, and my white Chuck Taylor's. I pull the jersey over my head and a smile stretches across my face. Hayes gave me his jersey for away games this morning and said that he wanted me to wear it. Of course, I wasn't going to object.

I quickly blow dry my hair and swipe on some blush and mascara. I spray my favorite perfume all over my body, and after I'm satisfied with my look, I walk into the kitchen to find something to eat.

"Hey, little sis," I hear a familiar voice say.

"Dalton!" I exclaim running and almost tackling him in a bear hug.

"I'm so happy you're here for the next four days," I say into his neck.

"I know, me too," Dalton says, pulling away.

"Come on, you two. Supper's ready," my mom calls to us.

-

"You want to have a Disney marathon?" Dalton asks, pushing his empty plate away.

I shake my head, "I can't. We're going to the homecoming game, and I'm going to the dance afterward."

"Oh, are you going with your friends?" He asks.

"Nope, she's going with a boy," my dad says as he stands up and takes his plate to the kitchen.

Dalton turns to me with his eyebrows raised. "You have a date?"

"Yeah, but we're just friends. He's the starting quarterback," I say.

Dalton's eyes shift down to my jersey before settling on my face again. "Just friends, yet you're wearing what I'm assuming is his jersey?"

I tug at the hem before answering. "He's a really great guy, Dalton. You'll like him."

Dalton stands with his plate in hand. "He's still a guy who's going on a date with my little sister. He's not getting off the hook that easy."

I roll my eyes and follow him.

After having a minor debate about me having a date to Homecoming, we all pile into the car and head to the game. Once we arrive and are at the gate, I hand Dalton my reserved seat ticket for him to use. Since I'll be in the student section with my friends, I won't need a ticket for that section in the stands.

I look around and try to spot the girls. After a few seconds, I see them waving me over to them.

"I'll see you guys after the game," I say to my family as I jog over to my friends.