Chapter 11

Once I'm in the privacy of my own room, I lay my dress on the bed along with my shoes and the jewelry I'm wearing. I go into my bathroom to take off the blush and mascara and start my full makeup routine. I pull half of my hair into a simple updo after lightly curling it. 

I slip on my dress and add some more deodorant and perfume. I brush my teeth thoroughly before swiping some lipgloss on. I grab my purse and put everything I need inside before slipping on my high heels. Even with these on, Hayes is still going to tower over my 5'2" self.  I take one last look at myself in the mirror. I hear a slight knock on my door. 

"Breckyn?" Dalton's head peeks through my door.

"Come in," I answer.

He walks in and stops for a moment when he sees me.

"What? Is it too much?" I ask fearfully.

He shakes his head with a fond yet pained expression, "You look beautiful, baby sis."

I smile and turn my bathroom light off. I know it's been hard for him to adjust to me growing up. I don't expect him to just accept it. I noticed not too long ago that I'm protective of both him and Trevor. They might be older, but they're my brothers. I won't let allow anyone to say anything against them or do anything to hurt them.

"Is Hayes here yet?"

Before Dalton can answer, we both hear the doorbell chime through the house. "He is now."

I smile widely and walk to the living room. As I open the door, I'm met with the most stunning man I've ever seen. Hayes stands before me in a tux that hugs him perfectly, and I have to lean against the door to keep upright.

"You're gorgeous," Hayes says with an awed expression. That's his reaction to seeing me?  Yep, I'm screwed. 

"Thank you, you look amazing," I say as my cheeks grow warm.

"This is the right color right?" Hayes asks, lifting the white and lavender corsage.

"Yes, it's perfect," I say leading him into the house. 

"Alright, picture time!" My mom announces.

Hayes and I walk over to the fireplace as my parents both grab their phones. My brothers stand in the back watching everything happen. I can feel my heart race as Hayes wraps his arm around my waist. I don't realize just close we are until I turn toward him for a few more poses. God, he smells so good, and he looks even better. Have I not actually died and gone to heaven? I just don't see how my uneventful life has led up to this.

"Okay, mom, I think that's enough pictures," I say not knowing how long I stand this close to him and not jump his bones. I'd rather my family not see me climb Hayes like a tree.

She smiles at the two of us and lowers her phone, "Alright, I guess you're right."

Hayes and I walk toward the door as my parents call out the door, "Have a good time!"

Hayes opens the car door and helps me step into his jeep before jogging to his side. 

Hayes turns to me once we're buckled, "Ready to go dance?"

"Hell yeah," I say.

We finally get to the school, and I hear the bass of the music from inside the car. As per usual, Hayes gets out before I even unbuckle my seatbelt to open my door for me. I take his hand and step out of the car. Hayes links his arm with mine, and we walk up to the front of the school.

There are two teachers outside, who are checking student IDs and such.

"Hey, Hayes, congrats. You played great tonight," Mr. Fulton says patting Hayes on the shoulder.