Chapter 22

The tension is so thick I'm surprised neither of us is suffocating. Hayes and I haven't said a word to one another the entire drive home. Hayes pulls into my driveway and parks the car. I don't reach for my bag yet. I need to find out what's going on.

"What's happening to us?" I ask quietly.

At first, I'm not sure if he heard me or not. He fingers the steering wheel, contemplating what to say. "I don't know," he says quietly.

"I feel like there are secrets and lies between us, and I hate it. We've always been open with each other," I say.

"Well, it's not my fault," Hayes says finally looking over at me.

Both of my eyebrows shoot up and my mouth slightly drops. "What? I've never lied to you. I tell you everything. Let's not forget you're the one who told me you had plans with your family when you were really with another girl."

I throw my bag over my shoulder and slam the car door shut. Hayes hops out of the car with his bag slung on his shoulder and follows me to the front door.

"There's nothing going on between Kaylee and me. We are just friends. I just find it ironic that you're so jealous about her when you've been sneaking around with Scott behind my back," he says bitterly.

I spin around and look up at him confused. "What are you talking about? Scott and I aren't even talking to each other. The last time we talked was when he showed up on my doorstep, telling me that he had feelings for me. And I told you everything that was said between Scott and me," I say, going to unlock my door.

"Yeah, well you forgot to mention that he was over here again the other night. You forgot to mention how you lied to me saying that you were studying for your quiz when you were really spending your time with another guy letting him touch you and kiss you. You forgot to mention all that, Breckyn!" Hayes rants as his voice starts to get louder.

"Scott was never over here the other night. After how he's been acting recently, I wouldn't invite him over here. And quit acting like you didn't straight up lie to my fucking face yesterday after you dropped me off. You went over to Kaylee's house last night to "work on a project" after you said you had a family thing," I bite back at him.

Hayes sighs heavily and pinches the bridge of his nose. "Look, I told you I had family plans before I arranged for Kaylee and me to meet at her house. So I didn't lie. I was going to hang out with my family when I got home, but I thought it would be better if Kaylee and I got started on our project early."

"Alright, fine. But how do I know if there even is a project? What if that's a lie?" I ask, crossing my arms.

Hayes rolls his eyes and sighs again. He practically throws his bag down on the couch and pulls out a binder. He flips through a few papers until he finds the one he's looking for.

"This is the paper Mrs. Walker passed out to everyone," he says.

I take the sheet from him and read it over. If the floor could open up and swallow me whole, I would really appreciate it. Sure enough, it's written here is black and white. Kaylee and Hayes are partnered together to put together a budget presentation for their "company." 

"Hayes, I'm sorry. I just assumed the worst. After everything that's happened this week, I wasn't thinking straight," I apologize.

"I told you there was nothing to worry about. Kaylee is just a friend. Besides, she has a boyfriend," Hayes says, clipping the paper back into his binder.

"Wait, who is she dating?"

"Nathan. You can check his Insta if you want to fact-check me."

I pull out my phone and click on the app, typing Nathan's name as fast as my small fingers will let me. I scroll through the pictures and read his bio. Apparently, Nathan and Kaylee have been happily dating since December. I groan and shut my phone off, but I notice Hayes is still mad.

"I'm sorry, okay? I know I should've trusted you, but I'm not the only one who needs to learn to trust. Whatever you think is happening between me and Scott, doesn't exist. Nothing is going on," I say.

"I did at first until I have to overhear him talking about how you've been texting and calling him, asking him to come over to your house to--" his voice cuts off before he can finish.

"What did he say?" I ask scared of whatever new rumors Scott is spreading.

Hayes meets my eyes again, and it nearly breaks my heart to see them rimmed read. "That because I'm so unsuspecting and no one would ever expect a sweet girl to cheat on her boyfriend, you've been sneaking around with him. He didn't give details from the amount I heard, but he lead to the assumption that you two have more than likely been hooking up behind my back."

He blinks, and my heart officially shatters when two tears trickle down his face. He's quick to wipe them away and straighten his spine.

"Look," he says after collecting himself. "If you are seeing him, just tell me okay? It is beyond fucked up to do it behind my back, so I'd rather you just be straight with me."

 "Baby," my voice breaks as I walk toward him. "I have never, nor will I ever cheat on you. I wouldn't dream of it. You are the best guy I know. I'm so sorry you had to overhear whatever lies Scott is telling his friends. I swear on my life, I'm not lying to you when I say this."

I stand directly in front of him and lift myself on the balls of my feet to wrap my arms around his neck. "I want you and only you. You are the best thing that's ever happened to me, and I can't, hell I don't even want, to imagine my life without you in it. Please, please, believe me."

Hayes rests his forehead against mine and slowly begins to nod his head. "I do."

I let out a sigh of relief and lift myself up a little more to kiss him hard. I drag my nails through his hair as I slip my tongue into his mouth. My urgency startles him at first, but he quickly recovers and drops his hands down to the backs of my thighs lifting me up. My legs wrap around his long torso. Hayes' hands slide to my ass and squeeze me eliciting a soft moan to leave my mouth. He pulls his mouth away from mine all too soon.

"Your mom will be home soon, and mine is expecting me back any minute," he says with a raspy voice.

I pout but nod in agreement. I untangle my legs from his waist and slide down his body. His arm is still wrapped around me as he reaches for his bag. We walk out to his car, and he tosses his bag into the back seat.

Hayes turns back to me and places his forehead against mine. "You sure you're okay with Kaylee coming over?"

"Yes, y'all are working on a project, and she has a boyfriend. More importantly, I trust you," I say.

Hayes lightly chuckles and places a kiss on my nose. "I'll call you later, okay?" He says.

I nod with a warm and contented smile. Hayes climbs into his Jeep and starts up the engine before backing out of the driveway. I watch as he drives away happy that we settled the miscommunication between us.