Chapter 30

The build-up to prom is all anyone can talk about. Usually, I don't portray in the talk or gossip of school events like this, but for once, I'm actually excited about prom. At every school dance, I went with a few friends. This past homecoming, Hayes and I went together, but we were just friends then. We had an amazing time, and I know that we'll have an even better time at prom with us being boyfriend and girlfriend now.

I stare at my long jade green, silk gown and hold it against me as I give a little twirl. The second I saw it, I immediately fell in love with it. The girls and I went to the mall together to go dress shopping, and we all thankfully found the perfect dresses for us. Ashia, of course, is going with her boyfriend, Zeke. Baileigh is going with her current boyfriend. Lexie and Luke are in their talking phase right now, so they're going together. Rebekah was able to find a close guy friend of hers to go with. We've met him once, and he's a really great guy.

I look over at the clock and notice the time. I walk into the bathroom and plug in my curling iron. While I'm waiting for it to heat up, which only takes a minute, I connect my phone to my speaker, and my playlist starts to play. I smile as my favorite songs play loudly in my room. Once my iron is hot, I begin to create loose curls in my hair. After I have the curls I want, I begin to pull the front strands of my hair to the back of my head and pin them there.

I pull my mirror closer to me and begin applying my full glam makeup. Pleased with my appearance, I reach for my dress. Me being the cliche person I am, I twirl around in my dress and run my hands over the material. This dress literally makes me feel so pretty.

I spray my favorite perfume all over myself and add on a few pieces of jewelry

I spray my favorite perfume all over myself and add on a few pieces of jewelry. I brush my teeth before lining my lips and applying my lipstick. I walk out of my bathroom and find my heels. I slip them on and throw my phone, charger, and school ID into my clutch before walking into the living room where my parents are waiting for me.

"Oh my gosh, you look beautiful, sweetie!" My mom says before pulling me into a hug.

"Thank you, mom," I say.

I turn to my dad, and it looks like he's trying to hold back tears.

"My little girl isn't so little anymore," he says, hugging me.

"Dad, don't make me cry," I say already feeling that familiar lump in the back of my throat.

Our ears all perk up when we hear the doorbell. I smile big as I slowly walk to the door to reveal the finest man I've ever seen. My heart swells as I take in Hayes' formal attire. He doesn't usually dress up, but whenever he does, it makes my knees weak. His suit fits him perfectly. His hair is styled just the way I like it, and his face couldn't be more flawless. He looks as if he stepped out of a GQ magazine. I love you.

I shake my head out of my fantasies, and I notice that Hayes is giving me the same shocked expression. 

"What is it? Is something wrong?" I ask as I quickly look down at my dress.

Hayes steps toward me and wraps his arms around me. His hand cups the side of my neck, so his thumb nudges my head up to look at him. His smile makes my breath hitch. 

"You're gorgeous," he whispers before placing a gentle kiss on my collarbone. I love you.

"Alright, you two. Picture time!" My mom exclaims, breaking me out of my trance.

Hayes takes my hand and kisses it before pulling us to stand in front of the fireplace as we did for homecoming. We take a few pictures of Hayes sliding the corsage on my wrist and some of me pinning the boutonnière onto his jacket. My parents take a few more pictures of us doing the usual cute couple prom poses before finally climbing into Hayes' car to leave for prom.

"So where are we going for dinner?" I ask once I'm buckled.

Hayes smiles at me. "Zeke said the group was going to this new Italian restaurant in Madison. You up for it?" I love you.

I nod my head. "Yeah, that sounds amazing."

He nods once and starts the engine. Our small town doesn't have a lot of nice restaurants, so we have to go to nearby cities to go out to eat sometimes. The restaurant we pull up to isn't too extravagant, but it is enough to match our formal attire. We meet up with everyone inside and sit at a secluded table in the back. We talk about the past year and laugh at old memories of us in middle school and the stupid drama that we considered our entire lives. When our food arrives, the only sounds around the table are murmurs of praise about our food. 

After the guys pay the separate bills, we all climb into our cars and head to prom. This year our prom is being held at this botanical garden with tons of flowers, cute little ponds, and water fountains. It closes at 4 o'clock every day of the week, but for our prom, they let us rent out a good portion of the garden to have our prom.

There aren't a ton of empty spaces to park, but luckily, we found one. Hayes and I walk up to the front and hand one of the teachers our tickets. We walk through, and I take in all of the beautiful decorations. With all the flowers and fountains, the student council didn't have to overly decorate for prom. Most of the budget was able to go straight to the rent and band, and the rest paid for the remaining decorations. String lights hang above us, and I notice the large camera and photography lights for the pictures. I can hear music playing ahead of us, so we make our way over to the rest of our classmates dancing in front of the live band.

Our group claims a large empty table to set our stuff on. Hayes slides his jacket off of his shoulders and hangs it on a chair by our table. I feel my breath hitch in the back of my throat as I take notice of how the muscles in his back constrict against his shirt. He rolls up his sleeves halfway up his forearms. The white material of his shirt hugs his biceps in a way that has me gripping the table beside me. Hayes looks at me with one eyebrow raised. I realized he asked me a question, and I didn't hear him at all.

"What?"

"I said do you want to leave your purse here?" He repeats with a chuckle.

"Oh," I laugh nervously. "Yeah."

He takes my hand after I tuck my bag into his jacket. Once we are on the dance floor, I see Rebekah and Logan dancing together. We wave at them, and they wave back. Hayes and I dance to every song the band plays and have an amazing time. After a long while, the band plays a familiar song, and I feel Hayes pull me close to him. His arm is wrapped around my waist while the other holds my hand. I place my other hand behind his head as we slow dance to "18" by One Direction. 

The lyrics hit me so hard, and I have to force myself not to cry at the overwhelming amount of emotion in my chest. Hayes lets go of my hand to cradle my face. I love you.

"Hey, what's wrong? You look like you want to cry," he says with concern etched on his face. 

I fold my lips inward as I consider telling him now. It's been killing me to hold it in. I'm terrified of saying these words knowing he might not say them back or even feel the same. I'll understand if he doesn't say them right away, but it's still going to feel awkward.

"I love you," I admit on an exhale.

A single tear manages to escape as the emotions ease as the weight of the words are no longer sitting in my chest. Hayes' gaze softens as his thumb slowly strokes my cheek.

"So why are you crying?"

"Because it's scary," I whisper to him. "These words are the heaviest thing I've ever had to carry. I always imagined the moment I realized I was in love, but you have managed to surpass every single one of them. I'm so in love with you."

Hayes leans his forehead against mine. "You don't have to be scared, baby. I've loved you since the moment I saw you. Every time I've held you, every time I've kissed you, every time I've looked at you, I've wanted to tell you just how in love with you I am."

I let out a soft astonished chuckle as a bright smile makes its way onto my face. Hayes continues to sway us to the song while singing the lyrics softly to me.