Chapter 4

-Thursday-

I walk into Physical Science and notice that Hayes is already in the seat in front of mine, looking down at his phone.

My heart starts beating faster as I look at his features. The way his eyebrows scrunch up while he reads what is on the screen. His bottom lip juts out a little bit, and the veins in his arms become prominent as he begins to type. My eyes travel up his forearms to his biceps stretching the white t-shirt around them. Lord, a man's arms and hands are my weakness. And knowing that Hayes is the new starting quarterback means has both great arms and hands. Lord, help me. 

I walk over to Hayes and pray to God I don't say or do anything stupid.

"Hey," I say walking past him and setting my bag down.

Hayes looks up and smiles when he notices me.
"Hey."

"I heard you made the football team. Congrats," I say pulling out everything I need for class.

"Thanks. Um, when do you have US History?" He asks turning to the side to look at me.

"Today, 4th block. Why?"

"We have a test in there today. I know I don't have to take it since my first day was Tuesday, but I'm gonna be really bored all throughout that class," he answers.

"Oh, yeah. I have that test in 4th block. I guess I'll see you at lunch," I say.

Hayes scrunches his eyebrows together, "What do you mean?"

"All the US History teachers let their students go to first lunch on test days, so they don't interrupt their students while taking the test. They start the test after lunch, so students have the rest of the class to take it. You can sit with me at lunch if you want to," I respond.

He nods his head and smiles brightly at me, "Sure, thanks."

"Alright class, let's get started," Coach says closing the door.

We took some notes and did a small activity and that was really it. This is definitely one of my favorite classes because it's so easy. After we finished our assignment, Hayes and I started to talk a little.

"Have you met anybody else here?" I ask.

"Yeah, I've met most of the football guys. There's a guy in my US History class, and he's on the football team with me. Scott Morris?" he says.

Of course, he knows him. Scott is one of the more well-known guys at this school. They'll probably end up being best friends. 

"Yeah, I know Scott. We've been friends for a while," I say.

"Oh wow. That's something I've noticed around here. Almost everybody here has known each other since like elementary school," Hayes says.

I nod my head, "Yea, I noticed that too when I first moved here in 4th grade. On the first day, I noticed everybody already had their best friends, which left me a bit empty-handed for a little while."

"Nobody tried to be friends with you?"

I shook my head, "Not at first. I found friends after a few weeks, but they kinda ditched me later on."

Hayes looks surprised and even a little hurt by what I said.

"Why?" he asks.

I sigh and answer, "After 6th grade, they all joined cheerleading and show choir or started hanging out with the popular kids. I wasn't really big on being popular, and I didn't want to join any of that stuff, so we drifted apart. They never tried to rekindle our friendship, so I left it at that."