seven

+ goodbyes +

The world stood still as she looked into the crowd, attempting to find the name she just called, holding her hand over her eyes to block out the sun. I let out a small whimper, not being able to move as if there was nails in my shoes keeping my attached to my spot. The girls around me looked, clearly knowing who I was, recognising my name. It's as if they parted, making a perfect path for me in the crowd that led towards the stage.

I didn't know what to do, someone from behind shoving me lightly with their hand, finally making me stumbling forward a little bit. I took a few steps forward, feeling everyones eyes on me as I took small steps forward, making my way to the stage as I kept my head down, the sound of my heartbeat filling my ears. I climbed the few stairs, not noticing i had made it to the stage rather quickly, Daria running over to me as well as she could in her heels, setting her hand on my shoulder as she ushered me along the stage.

From up there I could finally see the amount of people that actually lived in District 4, the crowds going back for as far as I could see, a scattered applause coming from them. My eyes searched the crowd, attempting to find either Kai or Firth, which i didn't manage to do, the amount of older boys being the biggest section of people. "And now for the boys" Daria said cheerfully, ready to pull someone else up onto the stage as she walked over to the bowl.

With each step the stage vibrates under he shows, making me scared that it may drop at any given moment. "Ridley Irving" Daria announced with a small excited laugh, my eyes still looking into the crowd as I tried to find anyone who looked familiar. I didn't recognise his name, not from school nor anyone who lived in the same part of the district as us. A small brunette boy made his way to stage, an unreadable expression on his face, probably similar to mines.

"Come dear" Daria said, placing her hand out for Ridley to take, which he did gently as he walked up the stairs, talking his place beside me as I looked over at him quickly, his eyes focused on the crowd. "Ladies and Gentleman, these are your tributes for the 64th annual Hunger Games" Daria said to the crowd, putting her hands on both of our shoulders as she smiled widely.

"May the odds be ever in your favour" Daria rung out, the microphone squeaking at the end, absolute silence meeting her as only a few people clapped, a singular cheer coming towards, Daria leaned on our shoulders for support as she turned us around, leading us through the doors at the back of the stage that she had come through minutes before. "It's a touch crowd this year" she said is as she placed her hands on her hair, making sure it was staying up as she turned to looked at me. "Aren't you cute" she said to me, grabbing my cheek and squeezing it as she scrunched her nose at me.

!

I sat on a large blue couch, sitting at the very end with a straight back, being uncomfortable in a room this fancy as I looked towards the window. It was so musty that i could t even see out of it, the sunlight diffusing through it as it hit a painting on the wall. I shifted my weight on the fluffy couch cushions, basically falling into them considering how soft they are as I pulled my dress over my knees a little bit, my foot bouncing in anxiety.

The door opened and I immediately stood up, running my hands over my dress as I tucked my hair behind my ears, having no idea what would happen at this point in the reaping. "Waverley" my mother called out to me, making me let out a sigh of relief as she rushed into the room, her eyes frantic as she came straight to me , pulling me into her as I trusted her for support, breaking down into tears.

"I'm scared" I said to her, her hand going to the back of my head as she stroked my hair softly, kissing the top of my head. "I know you are, sweetie" she said me softly, putting her head against mines as she whispered into my ear softly, which almost helped me calm down. "It's okay" she said to me, making me nod my head at her, trying to convince myself that it would be. "I don't know what to do" I said to her as she shushed, patting my back gently as I closed my eyes.