six

+ the reaping +

We walked down the gravel path that lead to the square, hundred of families walking ahead of us. Kai walked beside me, cracking jokes the whole way here, Haf not laughing at a single one. He kicked a stone the whole way here, the cluttering on the ground getting annoying after 10 seconds but none of us mentioning it.

No one talked once we got to the straight gravel path which held the check in tables at the end of it, Peace keepers standing on either side to insure peace. The sound of shoes crunching on the ground was the only sound mingling in the air, Dad and mom behind us both holding on to Zale's hands, who surprisingly was quiet the whole way here.

I could see a mingle of heads straight ahead, some going left while some went right, the parents and younger kids going to the viewing section while we went to the main part of the square. I turned around to see mom and dad, both looking back at me with weak smiles as dad nodded his head at me. I grabbed Kai's hand, holding it in mine. "We love you" I heard mom say to us, not being allowed much time to say anything before we got split off. Kai gave my hand a squeeze, as the line for the teenagers came into view. I sighed deeply, watching peace keepers split up the children from their parents.

"Good luck guys" I heard dad whisper from behind us, before taking mom by the wait and leading her and Zale down the same path as all of the parents as Kai, Haf and I went down the opposite path. I let Haf fall in front of me in the line full of children, I placed my hands on his shoulder, feeling him tense up under my hands. The line slowly moved, Kai standing in the line to our left. I looked up at him, weakly smiling to show him i wasn't too scared, but in all honesty I was.

I liked to act all tough when it came to the reaping, but truly I was as scared as everyone else. The line moved fast, the peace keeper saying next to the boy in front of Haf, him walking away. Haf placed his hand forward, the peace keeper pricking his finger with a needle. he wiped it on the paper, the peace keeper taking his device and scanning it, the machine beeping. "Next" he said, Haf walking around the table towards the little kid section. He turned back to be, smiling weakly before he turned around, staring at the floor.

I took a step forward, placing my hand out, getting my middle finger pricked. It stung a little, the peace keeper taking my hand and wiping the blood on the piece of paper, the little device beeping to say i officially existed. "Next" he said waving me off with his hand. I closed my fist, wanting my finger to stop bleeding as i joined the flow of teens from the other tables, making my way towards the group of older girls.

I couldn't see Kai or Haf, or even Firth anywhere, the abundance of kids milling about in the square in total silence all i could see for a long distance in front of us. I stood in between two girls I vaguely remembered from school, both of them staring at the blank stage ahead, probably thinking the exact same thoughts as I was. I copied both of them, the rest of the kids filing into the square slowly as I held my hands in front of me, picking at my nails as I waited for something to happen.

A few minutes later that Capitol anthem started playing, the double doors opening as Daria Lush walked out, her bright blue hair contrasting with her  white dress stumbling on stage in her 6 inch heels. She was assigned as the District 4 tribute escort, doing nothing but making sure they got to the Capitol safely. Behind her were the 2 surviving Victors, Mags and Talisa, both looking at us all as they did each year, not much emotions on their face.

From what I had heard Talisa didn't leave her house, spending all of her time inside her house in Victory Village, the curtains drawn closed and alone in her house. The microphone squeaked as Daria grabbed it, clearing her throat before speaking to us all, a wide smile on her face. "Hello children" she said with a small pitiful wave before turning to the parents section. "Parents" she said with a nod of her head, signalling at them as she turned back to us.

"Welcome to the 64th Hunger Games" she said holding her hands out at her side, as if she was waiting for a response, which obviously never came. I rolled my eyes lightly, if they think the hunger games are applause worthy in the Capitol they really have another thing coming to them. "How about we get started" she said clasping her hands in front of her. She made her way to the bowl on the right, which was filled with slips with our names on them, she cleared her throat as she shoved her hand into the top of the bowl, digging straight to the bottom.

She yanked on out, holding it above the bowl for a second, as if someone was taking her picture, which they probably were from the stream of camera around the square. With each step she took back to the microphone my heart pounded, so loud i could hear it in my ears, so sure everyone around me could hear it as well. As she reached the microphone she began unfolding the paper, and it was as if the whole of District 4 was holding their breath.

"Waverley Kersey"

——

A/N: hellloooo here's another edited chapter for you as i'm currently going through and just rewriting most of my chapters and re uploading them, not sure why but oh well
basically Daria is the Effie of District 4 and she's just as obnoxious but in a loving way!
please vote and comment and I will be seeing you soon hopefully

A/N: hellloooo here's another edited chapter for you as i'm currently going through and just rewriting most of my chapters and re uploading them, not sure why but oh well basically Daria is the Effie of District 4 and she's just as obnoxious but i...