thirty

+ footprints +

I looked down at my feet, making sure my footing was fine as we climbed up a small incline, the mud indicating that we were getting nearer to a water spring. I didn't want to admit it but I was started to get thirsty, having been walking for a few hours now, not having come across a single person yet.

"Guys" I said quietly, all of them stopping as I looked down at the ground, seeing a footstep in the mud as I pointed to it, their eyes following mines as we stood silently, awaiting a noise. I heard a small rustling noise, looking up into the trees, Nolan taking a small step forward as she looked around.

I could hear a small noise coming from above, the foot print indicating that someone was close, or had past through here recently. I watched as Nolan pulled an arrow from her quiver, swiftly setting it in her bow as she pulled her arm back, shooting into the distance. There was a loud scream followed by a thud, someone falling out of a tree as they all laughed, Nolan lowering her bow with a smile on her face.

Valour lead our way over to the person she had managed to hit, seeing the girl from District 3 lying on the floor, trying to crawl away with Nolan's arrow sticking out of her lower leg. She saw us coming as she screamed, pulling the arrow out of her leg as she threw it at us, barely reaching us as Valour laughed at her, holding his sword out in front of us, stopping us from walking any further.

"You alright there?" Valour asked her condescendingly, the small blonde girl screaming as she clawed at the ground, trying to pull herself away from the group of us. The wound in her leg was leaking out blood as she grabbed onto a tree roof, dragging herself along the floor, tears streaming down her face. "Who wants it?" Valour asked us, looking back at us with a smile, his eyebrows raised as we all stood there silently for a minute, the other three also holding smiles on their faces as I stood as still as possible.

"4" Valour said, looking over at me as he raised his eyebrows nodding his head over to the girl. I stared at him for a moment, turning towards Velvet who was also staring at me. "Consider it a gift" he added, making me shake my head as I let my lips part, no sound coming out for a moment. I got yanked out of my trance at the scream of the girl on the floor, she had given up trying to get away, lying on the ground as she clutched her leg, covering the wound on her leg.

"Nolan should do it she shot her" I said quietly, looking over at Nolan who shrugged her shoulders at me. "You can have it" she said simply as I turned back to look at Valour, who was staring at me with his eyebrows raised, pointing over at the girl on the ground. "On you go" he said to me simply, as if it was going to mean nothing that I was about to kill this girl while they all watched me.

"Okay" I said quietly, as I gripped my trident in my hand, letting out a small breath as I took a step forward, the girl shaking her head at me as she tried to claw at the ground once again. "Don't, please" she said to me as I made my way to her side, lifting my trident up in my hand. She looked up at me, her face covered in dirt and her hair filled with leaves from the ground as she shook her head at me.

"Please" she said to me quietly as I let out a breath, I flipped the trident in my hand, swinging to back of the handle at her as it hit her in the head, knocking her head as she fell limp onto the floor. I turned my trident around once again, holding the blades over the top of her. I closed my eyes tightly, squeezing them as tightly as I could while I used the sharp spike I the middle, dragging it along her throat as it cut the skin easily, blood pouring out of the gash.

I opened my eyes, the sight of the girl who couldn't be any older than 15 lying on the ground, a mix of both her blood and the boy from the blood baths blood staining my trident. I looked away quickly, staring down at the ground as the cannon went off, indicating she was dead as I turned back towards the career path, my face pale.