twenty-nine

+ cannons +

Valour walked ahead of us as he slashed down the vines that were handing from the tall trees, giving us a path to walk through as I held my trident down by my side. Nolan didn't have her bow drawn, holding it by her side as she walked along side me, Velvet and Ashlor talking quietly as Velvet flipped a knife in her hand over and over again as if she was bored.

"How can you guys swim so well?" I asked them, the silence between us making me extremely uncomfortable as we made our way through the jungle. "Taught us at the academy" Nolan said to me, making me nod my head as I pushed a vine to the side with my trident. I don't know why I never assumed that the academy would teach them useful skills like swimming, but I guess there's always a high chance that there is water in the games.

I didn't say anything else, not knowing what else there was to ask, but also not wanting to bound them in millions of questions about what the academy is actually like. There was a loud noise as the first cannon went off, making us stop in our tracks as we listened to the death toll. One went off after the other, signifying each of the tributes that had died in the blood bath.

I thought they would have sounded the cannons a long time ago, considering that the blood bath had ended in the water. They stopped as the arena fell silent once agin, the sound of bugs clicking filling our ears. "Eleven" I said, counting the cannons as Velvet nodded her head at me, holding her knife still in her hands. "I counted ten" Valour said as Nolan shook her head, letting out a breath as she leaned against a tree that was behind her.

"There was definitely eleven" she said, my eyes looking at the trunk she was resting on, the whole thing covered in wet moss. "So that's what, the one I got, the three Valour got, the two Velvet got, Nolan got one and then 4 for the other" Ashlor said, counting them on his fingers as I nodded my head as he spoke gently. "So three more must have died as well" Velvet added, Ashlor flipping his spear as he dug the top of it into the ground, leaning against it.

"Drowned" he said with a shrug of his shoulders, Nolan pushing her self off of the tree as she shook her quiver of arrows a little bit, adjusting the strap on her chest. "Or killed by someone else, it took them a while to get the bloodbath canons out" I said quietly, all of them looking over at me as Ashlor raised his eyebrows at me. "So you think there was a fight in the jungle?" his voice sounding nothing but genuinely curious as I nodded my head, shrugging my shoulder quickly.

"Or in the water" I answered, Nolan letting out a breath as she pulled he bow string over her chest as well. "We aren't the only ones who can kill in here" Nolan added as I nodded my head at her, Valour letting out a deep breath as he swung his sword out by his side. "So what's our plan now?" he asked, obviously getting quite disgruntled that we were just standing here doing nothing.

"Continue to try and find other people, get them
before then sun goes down" Ashlor said, Valour nodding his head, liking the idea to get more kills under his belt. "We should maybe find water" Velvet countered, Valour staring at her as she just stared back at him, not scared of him one bit.

"Should we head back to the beach tonight?" he asked, but his question not sounding very open to any other ideas. "There was quite a lot of food in the cornucopia" Nolan added, making me furrows my eyebrows a little bit as I looked over at her. "I didn't see any" I said, having found nothing that we could have eaten except from the crackers that were already in my pouch.

"There was apples and some rolls, nothing big, we could eat them tonight" she told me, making me nod my head, knowing that that probably was the truth in what she found in the boxes she looked in. It puzzled my why she didn't think it would have helped if she had taken with her, meaning we wouldn't have to go back to the water just to get some food, but I didn't feel like asking her.

"If we head back to the beach before dark we would have made all the distance we covered today redundant" I countered, shaking my head as Valour clenched his jaw, raising an eyebrow at me as he tilted his head to the side. "Well what do you suggest we do, 4?" he asked me, the sound of his voice threatening as I remained quiet for a moment, leaning over and pointing at the moss on the tree Nolan was next.

"The vegetation is really wet here" I said to them, lifting my trident up as I pointed it at the ground. "So there must be an underground water source, or even a river or something that's heading out into the sea"  I added, lifting the trident up and using the blade to point out in a direction, knowing that the game makers had to put water in here that was at least drinkable. "They'll be something swimming in it that we can eat" I told them, hoping for some sort of fish that I would be able to kill, maybe even some clams.

"I'm okay with going with that" Ashlor said, nodding his head as he lifted up his trident one again, holding it by his side. "Me too" Velvet agreed, Nolan also nodding her head at me as she turned to look at Valour. "Same here" she added as Valour looked over at me, not saying anything as he stared at me for a moment, his nostrils flaring.

"Fine, now lets get moving" he said to me flatly, not waiting on the rest of us as he turned around, swinging his sword out in front of him violently as he started walking once again, all of us looking at each other quickly before following after him slowly.

——

A/N: had Valour got a vandetta against Waverely?
we shall find out soon I guess
i'm like a little bit nervous about writing the games, I have a tough idea on what to do but I have no idea how the careers actually find people (I know they normally follow smoke from fires, but you can't really build a fire in the jungle) so i'll be figuring that out as I go I guess
please vote and comment and i will see you soon

A/N: had Valour got a vandetta against Waverely? we shall find out soon I guess i'm like a little bit nervous about writing the games, I have a tough idea on what to do but I have no idea how the careers actually find people (I know they normally ...