forty-one

+ puddle +

We sat next to a very small puddle of water, which had obviously been filled up to make sure that no more tributes would be dying from dehydration. The game makers had also cranked down the heat in here, so it wasn't too bad anymore in here, no longer sweating down to my feet. I sat as Fuse stood over me, untying the bandage as he peeled it back carefully.

I made a small hissing noise as my open wound hit the air, Fuse holding the bandage out to me as I took it from him, the whole thing soaked through with blood that had dried now. "It's infected isn't it?" I asked him, looking down at the bandage to see a yellow puss covering it, knowing that that wasn't a good thing.

"Yeah" he said to me as I sighed, Ridely sitting across from me as he held an apple in his hand, cutting it up with a small knife. "We need something to try and get the puss out with" Fuse said to me as he looked over at Ridley who shook his head, telling him he didn't have anything. I unzipped the pouch on my waist, pulling out the soft silk from the parachute as I held it out to Fuse.

"It was the parachute" I said to him as he nodded his head taking it from me as he moved my hair out of the way from my cut. "This is going to hurt a lot" Fise said to me as I let out a deep breath, feeling his finger scrape the edge of the cut as it sent an extreme pain through out my body, down to my toes. "Oh my" I said started, clenching my fists as I bit down my jaw as hard as I possibly could, feeling as if my teeth were going to shatter under the pressure. "Let out a deep breath" Fuse said to me as I did as he told me, closing my eyes and squeezing them close as i felt him do it again, a bit deeper this time as I fought the urge to scream as loud as I could.

"I can't get anymore without pushing dirt into it" Fuse said to me as he moved away from me, scraping what was on the silk off onto the rock next to us. "Here" I said to him as I held out the soiled bandage, the boy looking down at it as he shook his head at me. "It's dirty" he said to me as I shrugged my shoulders, swallowing harshly hoping that the pain would be gone as quickly as possible if he covered it up again.

"I don't have anything else, it keeps dirt out so just use it" I told him as I thrusted it at him once again, making him nod his head as he swapped it for the silk parachute which I held in my hand. He tied it back into my head, pushing the wound close as well as he could to avoid anything getting inside of it once again. Ridley looked up at me, holding out a piece of the red apple as I smiled at him, taking it from him and taking a small bite from it.

"Thanks" I said to him as he passed a chunk to Fuse as well, taking the core for himself as he ate the rest of the fruit that was on it. I stared at the small puddle of water in front of us which we had pretty much drained by now, filling up the large bottle that Fuse and Ridley had, which was the same one Valour had held up to me on the first day at the cornucopia. I gnawed at the apple slowly as I looked at the water with my eyebrows furrowed, watching small bubble rose from the bottom of it to the surface.

"Look" I said quietly, both the boys looking at me as I nodded down at the puddle, which was very very slowly rising. "It's filling up" Fuse said to me as I nodded my head at him, shoving the rest of the apple in my mouth as I pulled the flask out, opening it quickly and drinking it as fast as I could. The water dribbled out of my mouth and down my chin as I finished it, the lukewarm water trailing down my throat as I held the flask in the water, filling it back up again.

Just like before the water slowly filled up again to what it was before, as if it was a cup that always had to be full. "It must be automatic" Fuse said with a shrug as I put the flask away, sipping my hands on the water as it filled up a little bit. I put my face as close to the puddle as possible, splashing the water in my face as I tried to scrape away at the dried bloom that was covering my face.

I rubbed it gently, doing the same thing over and over again, just for the water to fill back up every time. "Wash the parachute, we can use it to keep cleaning your wound" Fuse said to me as I nodded my head at him, pulling the silk from my lap as I put it in the water, washing the blood and puss off of it, the water turning a light copper colour like the rusty tap that sat outside my house. "Do you think this means they've filled up all the water sources again?" I asked Fuse as he shrugged his shoulders at me, putting the rest of his apple into his mouth.

"I'm not sure" he said to me as I ringed out the parachute, the water no longer drink able as I laid it on my knee to let it dry out a bit. "Maybe we should try and find a larger river or stream, I can catch a few fish for us" I said to the pair of them as both the boys looked over at eachother, Ridley about to pick up another apple as he hovered over the two we had left. He retracted his hand quickly as he looked over at me, nodding his head at me. "That sounds good" he said reluctantly, nodding his head at me as I looked over at Fuse with a raised eyebrow.

"Okay" Fuse agreed as well, his voice getting drowned out by the large boom of a canon, making us all look around. "That's the second one today" Ridely said with a sigh as he worked on typing up the makeshift bag that they had made. "The second?" I asked, looking at Ridley who nodded his head, Fuse scratching his head quickly a she tilted his head at me. "One went off this morning, it was still dark" Fuse said to me as I nodded my head, knowing I probably missed it when I was still knocked out. 

"How many does that leave now?" I asked them as Ridley thought for a moment, mentally counting them in his head. "8, if I've been counting correctly" he told me as I nodded my head, letting out a small sigh as I watched the blood tinted water disappeared into the ground, fresh water taking its place. "We should go, try find something before dark" I said to the pair of them as they both sighed, standing up slowly as I snatched up the parachute again, tying it onto the strap of my pouch as I grabbed my trident, letting out deep breath as I pulled myself up.

——

A/N: hello, here's another chapter for you, Ive been trying to figure out the best way to go about writing the next few chapters but I will get them up as quickly as possible I promise
please vote and comment and i will see you soon

A/N: hello, here's another chapter for you, Ive been trying to figure out the best way to go about writing the next few chapters but I will get them up as quickly as possible I promise please vote and comment and i will see you soon