eight

+ the window +

I stood awkwardly in the lavish living area of the train, lingering near the wall as I watched the sights of the sea side pass quickly as we zoomed through the district, many large boats in the harbours as I tried to identify them all, but we were moving to fast for me to name them. The room we were in was impressively decorated, a large wooden table sitting at one end with plates and glasses that looked like they had come straight from President Snows house himself.

"No offence to any of you but this is my least favourite time of year" Daria said, taking a seat on the blush blue couch, taking out a mirror from the tiny bag she was holding as she checked her painted ruby red lips. "The games?" Talisa asked her, their conversation lingering in the back of my mind as I tried not to listen in, holding my hands in front of me. Talisa made a move for the trolley that held the alcohol, reading the bottle as she opened one, taking a quick sniff before making herself some kind of drink.

"Coming to District 4, everything smells like fish" Daria replied with a squinted face, fixing her hair quickly as she snapped the mirror close in her hand. I looked over at Ridley who was standing at the large window, watching as we whipped past the blue sparkling water. "Kersey" Talisa said to me, causing me to turn to look at her as she motioned her drink to me, almost spilling some of it.

"You'll need to wipe that look off of your face if you want to think you have a chance of making it out alive" she said, walking back over to the couch and collapsing on it, making Daria shift a little as she let out a small squeal of dismay. "They are just shocked" Mags said, walking through the sliding door as she stood next to me, nodding her head at me with a reassuring smile as I smiled back at her weakly.

"You can move you know" Mags said to me, nudging me with her elbow lightly as I nodded my head at her, earning a small smile from her. "Don't listen to Daria if she tell you not to touch anything, this is your week" she said to me quietly as I tucked my hair behind my ears quickly, looking down at my feet. I nodded my head as I shuffled over to the arm chair, sitting down but keeping my back straight as I looked over at Talisa who was staring at me as she took a sip from her glass.

"You can swim right? Make nets and fish?" she asked me as I stared at her, not replying as Ridley turned around quickly. "What does it matter?" he asked, everyone turning to look at him as he walked over to us, standing in between the chair I was in and the couch, looking rather angry. "It's a game of survival in there, it's not about killing it's about staying alive" Mags told him as she leaned back on the couch, Talisa nodding her head to reinforce the point.

"Net?" Talisa asked me, crossing one leg over the other as she held her glass against her leg, raising an eyebrow at me as she ran her free hand through her long brown hair. "Trident" I croaked quietly, aways preceding a trident to using nets to fish, even though i could use both in a dire situation. "We can work with that" she replied to me, drinking more from her glass as Mags leaned out her hand on her leg. "It takes 2 days to get to the Capitol, we can eat lunch and talk then" Mags said, slapping her leg lightly as I nodded my head, looking over at Ridley who had gone back to his position at the window, still looking angry.

I stood up slowly, walking over to him as I stood next to him, not saying anything as I stared out the window with him, crossing my arms over my chest as Talisa and Mags having a small conversation. "I've not seen you around" I said to Ridley quietly, not turning to look at him as we both let the sunlight shine through the glass and hit us. "Haf's big sister right?" he asked me, not looking at me as I nodded my head, letting out a small breath.

"Yeah, do you know him?" I asked him as he crossed his arms, his eyebrows scrunched as he squinted at the sun. "I was in his class at school" he told me, meaning he was only Haf's age, going into these games to most likely not come back out. "I didn't think I would get picked" he said quietly, looking down at the ground as he rubbed his forehead with his hand, letting out a deep breath.

"Me neither, my name was only in that bowl a few times" I told him as he didn't say anything back to me, continuing to stare out of the window as I did the same, letting out a small breath as he dropped his hands by his side. "We should get some lunch, thicken you two up a little bit" Talisa said from behind us, causing us to turn to look at her as she stood up, holding her glass in her hand as she nodded our heads over at us.

——

A/N: hey guys, I how you all enjoyed this. hosted, it was another REALLY long one that i had to cut up a bit so there's more that used to be in it coming your way
please vote and comment and I will see you soon

 hosted, it was another REALLY long one that i had to cut up a bit so there's more that used to be in it coming your way please vote and comment and I will see you soon