forty-eight

+ splash +

My legs moved through the water slowly, Ridley leaning against me with his eyes closed as his hands moved through the water slowly. The numbness and fatigue in my legs was telling me that I had been trying to keep our heads above the water for hours now. We had watched the rain as it fell from the sky, hitting the surface of the lake as the water diluted the acid.

The sky was still overcast, but the top of the water was still as warm breezes blew through the threes that surrounded the pond. "Are you okay?" I asked Ridley quietly, whos head was barely above the water, my arms weak as I kept a hold of him. I had realised that if I was by myself I probably would have given up by now, letting my head drop under the water as I let out the last breath I had stored in my lungs, but because I was responsable for Ridley I had fought harder than I ever had before. Maybe it was my sister insicts kicking in, considering how much Ridley reminded me of Haf, and I would do everything I could to save him.

"Yeah, I think the rain was stopped" Ridley said weakly as he stretched his neck to look out up into the sky. "Should we get out?" I asked him gently as I caught sight of my trident that was caught onto a tree root that sat on the hill we had fallen down. The water that was around us was milling a copper colour from the blood that was slowly oozing from our bodies, so constant that it didn't even disperse anymore.

"What do you think?" he asked my, not condescendingly but actually wanting to know opinion on the matter. "That my arms and legs are painful" I said to him as he shifted a little bit, holding onto my hands as he shifted his body away from mines. "Okay" he said as I pushed him away from my slightly, leaving him floating as he turned onto his back with a hiss, floating on the top of the water. He gently moved his legs under the water as he moved out from under the rocks towards the bank of the pond.

I let out a deep breath as I stopped moving my legs, letting my body sink under the water as it blanketed over my head. I once again found myself in the silent surroundings of the water, which felt so familiar and heart warming. I didn't move for a moment as I just hovered under the water, staying still as I kept my eyes closed, the warm water flowing over my face. I let the air release from my nose slowly as I moved my arms softly, breaking back through the surface of the water to see Ridley already half way to the side of the pond.

I ran my hand over my face, which hurt considering the whole top layer of my skin had been burned off, brushing some strands of my hair away from my raw skin and pushing it back behind me ears. I floated onto my stomach as I began swimming over to the bottom of the hill, Ridley pulling himself onto the dirt as I moved my arms and legs under the water as it propelled me through it. "I cant get up" Ridley said to me as he grasped onto the dirt, trying to pull himself up as he kept slipping, way too weak to pull his body weight up there.

"I'm coming" I said to him as I swam over to him looping my hands under the water as he put his foot in my palms, making me strain as I pushed him onto the side of the water. He landed on my small part of flat ground with a grunt as he tried to keep the side that was all torn up away from the ground, but most of his body had large burns and cuts on it now, so it didnt do much and infection was inevitable. I put my own hands on the back as I pulled myself out of the water slowly, barely making it as I lifted my leg to catch the bank before I fell back in. I stayed on my stomach for a moment as I let out a sigh of pain, wanting to scream as I tried to catch my breath.

"I dont know where my machete it" He said to me as I looked over at him, a whince on my face as I moved into a sitting postion. I rubbed my hands off of eachother, which did nothing but rub the dirt that had stuc to my skin over my palms. "My trident is up there" I said to him as I nodded my head in te direction from where it sat on the hill. There were water droplets dripping from the edge of my nose as I wiped it away with the back of my hand, shaking my hand as I reached forward. I dipped my hands into the water, washing off all of the dirt as Ridley followed suit, lapping the water over his arms, which hurt sondiering the small groans he was letting out through gritted teeth.

I reached down to my pouch around my hip, which held two soaking parachute silks, the small empty tub my crackers had come in and the pot of cream. I pulled out the pot of cream, whcih was sealed tightly as I unscrewed it with my shaking fingers. "Lets jsut use the rest of it" I said to Ridley as I looked over to him, holding it out as he hesitated for a moment. "We've already used half of it and the rain earased all of its help" I said to him with a shrug as he dipped his finger into it, realising that I was right and considering the extent of our injuries now, it probably wouldnt even do anything to help anyway.

He scopped some out of it as he lathered it onto his face, a large chunk on his cheek missing a large chunk of skin. He smeared it on as I rubbed it onto my wirsts, where I had watchd my skin peel and float away from me. We finished off the rest of the cream, lathering it onto different parts of our body. I purosley took a smaller scoop at the end so that Ridley could finish the rest of it off, wiping it onto his neck which had a large gash cut out of it. I screwing the lid back onto the pot, my fingetips now oily from the ointment. I debated what to do with the pot for a moment, knowing that there was no point in keep it.

I held it in my hand as I pulled my arm down, throwing it as well as I could as it hit the top of the water with a splash before it sunk through the water. We both in silent for a moment, taking a moment to sit still and rest, knowing that eventually we would have to get up and attempt to climb back up this hill.

——

A/N: hey guys, I feel like i'm constantly apologising for not updating for days at a time but here you are with another chapter!
I hope you have enjoyed this chapter and please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you soon (I PROMISE)

A/N: hey guys, I feel like i'm constantly apologising for not updating for days at a time but here you are with another chapter! I hope you have enjoyed this chapter and please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you soon (I PROMISE)