forty-nine

+ piggy back +

"Okay, if I bend down slowly can you grab my trident?" I asked Ridley slowly, his arm around my neck as he clung onto me. I had him on my back, my hands holding onto his legs tightly as he leaned against my back. Once we had discovered that he could barely stand up by himself we knew that it wasn't going to be possible for him to walk without me. I had weight the options of dragging him up the hill, but there was no way I could keep my feet on the ground as I hauled him along side me.

I stood at about half way up the hill, my whole body crying in pain as I stared at my trident which was sitting in front of us. We had determined that Ridley's spear had sunk to the bottom of the pond, and it wasn't worth diving to try and find it. The hill was a lot steeper than we had realised, and I had to constantly lean forward to avoid the both of us topple back and finding ourselves back in the water. "Yeah" He said to me as I nodded my head, feeling Ridley's breath hit against the side of my head as I took in a deep breath. I bent my knees slowly, trying my best to bend forward but hold my balance at the same time. I couldn't see as Ridley grabbed onto the handle of my trident, pulling it free of the tangle of roots it was in.

"Got it" he said to me as I straightened up again cautiously, not wanting to bend to far for my feet to slip from under us. "Perfect, now hold still while I climb" I told him as he held the trident in both of his hands, in front of my neck as I looked in front of me. I lifted one foot off of the ground ever so slightly, taking a step onto the sharp incline as I dragged my other foot up next to it. I was I na constant squatting
position, and the back of my thoughts were killing me, but so was the rest of my body so I wasn't really focusing on it that much.

I climbed up the hill as slowly as possible, and it probably took about three times as much time than it would have if I didn't have to carry Ridley up. I took the final step it took to get onto flat ground once again, almost getting stuck as I put all of my might into bringing my second foot up onto the dirt. As soon as I had both feet on the ground I let out a sigh of relief, taking a few smaller steps to get away from the edge. Ridley slid down my back as I let go of his legs, letting him land on the floor gently.

"Let's just rest here for a bit" I said to him, out of breath as I held my trident if my hand, buckling over as I tried to slow down and control my panting. We had trees surrounding three sides of us now, the leaves and branches hanging over from the rain that had battered down on them. Ridley silently scraped himself over to a tree, pushing one hand against it as he leaned into it, staring down at the ground as he closed his eyes. Neither of us said anything each other as just the sound of us trying to gulp in air filled the atmosphere. I looked back over at him, about to say something before I got cut off, the opening notes of the anthem of Panem played through the arena.

"Why are they showing that now?" I asked him, raising my voice over the anthem as the seal of Panem stared down at us. "It's not the right time" I said, shaking my head as I looked around, almost double checking that it was still light, which it was. Ridley didn't reply as we both watched the seal transition into a picture of Ashlors sharp face, the words 'District 1' flashing along under his face. I was guessing that he died in the rain, probably not having found sufficient cover to shield him from it.

Next was the girl from 8, who looked so small and frail, even in her picture before she cane into the arena that it shocked me that she had even made it this far. That was it, just the two of them having died today. The projections disappeared from the sky as the small interval of silence hung in the air before the recording of the birds and insects kicked back in again. "4 people left" Ridley said quietly as I turned to look at him, having no idea if he was correct or not, having lost track ages ago. "I've been keeping count since Fuse died" he told me as I nodded my head at him, opening my mouth slowly.

"If I've counted right it should be 4" he confirmed, cutting me off before I could say anything, but I knew that he was only saying that to try and convince himself that he was right. "You're sure?" I asked him, making him look down at the ground as he furrowed his eyebrows, his mouth moving slowly as he punted it out once again. "Not really but what else can we rely on" he said after a moment, looking back up at me as I nodded my thread at him slowly, having to take his word for it. "I don't get why they would show us that now" I said to him as I pointed my finger up towards the sky where the projections had been.

"Unless it is the right time for it" he said simply, shrugging one of his shoulders as I looked at him, confused. "What?" I asked as he looked up into the sky, shaking his head to get his curls out of his eyes, his hair having grown a little since we got in here. "It might be nightfall" he said to me, looking back over at me as I looked up past the trees as well, the sun still over head of us, where it would be in the afternoon. "The sun is still up" I stayed, though he could clearly see that for himself. "And? They can control all of that, it doesn't mean anything" he said to me as I realised he was right, the game makers being able to control every single aspect of this arena with the flick of a switch.

"So you think it's night time?" I asked, trying to think of why they would decide to completely get rid of time in here, as it didn't seem very necessary. "They are trying to throw us off" he replied to me, rubbing my torn lips together as shrugged his shoulder in his good side again. "Disorientate us a little" he added, making me let out a scoff as I raised my eyebrows at him. "You'd think the rain was enough for that" I said to him as he nodded his head at me, both of us knowing how weird it was to send the rain straight after the birds, killing off at least half of the remains tributes in less than 24 hours.

"Final 4, they expect it to end soon" I said to him as I lifted my trident up, slamming it into the ground as it stood tall, letting me lean against it for some support. "They'll be interviewing our families by now" Ridley said to me as he let out a sigh, putting his hand to his side as he tried to steady his staggered breathing. I nodded my head, a small smile automatically falling onto my face at the thought of my family standing in front of our house with cameras surrounding them.

"My mom is going to hate that" Ridley said with a small smile as I let out a chuckle, raising my eyebrows as I put my hand on the top of the trident handle. "Mines would eat it up" I said to him with a stifle of a laugh, thinking about my mum forcing Haf to brush his hair for the camera. "So would my brother, he's made to be in the spotlight" I added, thinking about the fact that also probably stood in front of a lens with his dazzling white smile, making quipu jokes and telling the whole Capitol how he used to chase me with lobsters when we were younger.

"He always wanted to be in here" I said to him as I lifted my finger up, circling it around to indicate the arena, Ridley not saying anything as he stared at me. "But hopefully not anymore" I added quietly as I swallowed my words quickly, turning away from him as I looked back out into the trees, knowing that I would probably end up with tears in a moment. I moved my trident around a little bit, rippling up the dirt around the blades as I took in a few deep breaths, trying to subdue the thought of my family at home talking to the cameras about how proud they were of me.

"Okay, we should start moving" I said to Ridley, setting my hands on my trident and pulling the blades out of the ground swiftly, just in time to hear Ridley let out loud grunt. I whipped my head around to look at him, just to see a girl standing behind him with a belt of axes tied around her hips, a small axe lodged in the back of Ridley's neck.

——

A/N: AHHH IM SO SORRY, I told you I would be back but I dont think you were expecting me to be back with this chapter
I'm just as sad as you are, trust me I loved writing Waverely and Ridley's sibling-ish relationship so don't hate me IM SORRY
please don't forget to vote and comment and I see you again soon

A/N: AHHH IM SO SORRY, I told you I would be back but I dont think you were expecting me to be back with this chapter I'm just as sad as you are, trust me I loved writing Waverely and Ridley's sibling-ish relationship so don't hate me IM SORRY ple...