Chapter 26

Jayson's P.O.V

Levi ate the meat off the bone of the hare I'd cooked viscously. I watched him with a faint smile, relieved above all else that he was finally eating. It turned out he was just a little picky and wouldn't eat meat unless it was just a certain way, it took a few tries, but I'd figured it out. 

"Here, eat more." I say giving him my last portion.

You need to keep your strength up as well - Roger reminds me but I ignore him and focus on Levi. He looks at me hesitantly so I give him a reassuring smile. Jayson...

Him first Roger - I insist leaving no room for discussion.

"Go on." I urge Levi.

With that last push, he grabs hold of the bone and quickly devours the remaining meat. I dust my hands off onto my shorts before standing to my feet, Levi's large eyes follow my every movement as I poke at the small fire that had been dwindling to make our meal. I put it out, resting the wood I'd need for later nearby before reapproaching him. 

"I think its about time me and you took a bath." I say approaching him, he looked up to me with those big eyes that had finally seemed to run dry after the past week.

I shift before him and lie down, without complaint he quickly climbs onto my back, gripping my black fur as tight as always. 

He didn't say or do anything in response, only tucked his head into my neck. I didn't push it, knowing he was dealing with a lot.

I had to admit he was doing much better than I could ever do if put in his situation. After all, no matter how much he was to me, to him, I was a stranger. In his position, I'd kick and scream no matter what, yet he made no complaints or gave no trouble. 

He was perfectly behaved almost as if he was scared that if he didnt, I'd hurt him. I wished to know the version of him which trusted me enough to be himself.

I wished to know him

I make my way down the cliff carefully and slowly, scouting the area as I always did, but there was not much out here. We made it quickly and easily to the stream where I'd been getting our water every day, heating it before drinking. 

I lower myself for Levi to climb off before sniffing around the area to make sure no wild animals were nearby. Once the coast was clear, I shifted back before taking us to a spot in the stream that was relatively shallow.

"Okay, are you ready?" I ask turning to his as I pulled my shirt off.

He didn't make a move so I frown slightly.

"Don't tell me you don't like baths." I say looking at him. When he doesn't reply I sigh. "Please, we can't be outside for too long."

Levi stared at me for a moment before outstretching his hand to feel the water. The second his fingertips were numbed by the icy water he withdrew quickly and tracked back.

"It'll warm up once we're inside." I tell him but he shakes his head profusely. "Please, Levi just this once."

He stares at me unwaveringly.

"I'm really starting to hate Goddess." I say rubbing my temples. Unfortunately for me, Levi seemed to dislike me disrespecting our Goddess and decided to throw the nearest thing to him at me.

They were rocks.
He threw multiple rocks at me.  

"Levi stop." I cry out, unable to withhold my laughter. "If you don't stop, I'll throw you in."

Despite my warning he doesn't stop, so I take my chances running towards him and lifting him high in my arms. I shake him about so the rocks fall from his tight grasp and he's left giggling.
With a lot of squirming, fighting and laughing, I manage to get his shirt and pants off as well as my own before jumping into the stream with him in my hands.