Chapter 2: Whiskers and Claws

Shifting had been the one thing he had wanted to avoid at all cost on his first day at his new school. He'd even let his cheetah run around the house when they had gotten to their new home last night in the hopes that it would be content and not feel the need to ruin his school life. Nope.

"I can't believe how cute you a-" Arron cut off the teacher with a hiss as he pouted in the man's arms. He'd picked up his clothes and stuffed them into his backpack, then lifted his kitten up after he'd swung the bag over his shoulders.

Arron wanted to tell him that he could walk just fine, but the only person he could mentally communicate with was his mother, since they had lost their coalition back in Washington. The only real positive at that moment was that he had been a few minutes late and class was going on, leaving very few students in the halls to get a look at him.

The few kids walking about were pretty darn curious, unfortunately, and a couple even asked Arron to shift. Obviously, that wasn't going to happen. Thankfully, his cheetah couldn't really decide when it wanted to leave once it was there. That was all him... once it got tired of being out.

Thankfully, the teacher shooed the bothersome kids away as they ducked into the nurse's office. It was pretty big and actually had quite a few things he'd expect to see in a hospital, not a high school.

"Oh my, what a cutey! Is he yours?" A young woman asked as she hurried over.

Don't you dare pinch my chee- A loud hiss left Arron's pulled-back lips as he swatted at the woman's demonic fingers that were clawing at his poor face.

"Um, actually, he's a new student. His animal just seems to have not grown up yet." The teacher said.

Arron thought what the teacher said would have made the woman more professional, but she just squealed, sounding exactly like a boar shifter, and scooped him up for a too-tight hug. As he was being smothered to death, the teacher chuckled and handed the woman his papers.

"Arron, is it?" She asked, loosening her grip as she read what she was given. "And you're here for a rabies shot, no problem."

She quickly set him down on an examination table used for when students were in their animal forms, then turned around to get the vaccine ready. His eyes cut over to the teacher who had brought him to the torture chamber, not bothering to hide his glare.

"Don't worry, Arron. She's great at shots, you'll hardly feel it." He said.

He wasn't too worried about the initial prick, but the burning afterward as the vaccine dispersed tended to really hurt. His attention was still focused on the teacher when he felt that sudden prick and yowled. By the time he'd whirled around to swat the needle away she was already done.

"Now don't give me that face or I'll have to pinch those cheeks again." She said as she turned to dispose of the needle.

A hiss was Arron's reply before he was scooped back up by his teacher.

"Alright then, let's get you to class."

Wait.

What?

It was bad enough to have his shifting problem, but couldn't the teacher at least wait for him to be able to change back?

"I know you probably want to be in your human form for this, but I have to get back to my classroom. You'll be okay, your first period teacher is sweet and class is already half over. I'm sure once it's done she'll send someone to take you to the bathroom to change back. If you need anything while here, just come talk to me okay? My name's Mr. White."