Chapter 24: A Fun Day Out

(I like this pic of Larro too much to not reuse it. He's my favorite character. He's probably the only character pic I'll put up.) 

I can't believe he paid five hundred dollars for clothing!

Those words repeated in Arron's head all the way back to Larro's apartment. He didn't really come out of his shocked daze until he heard him speak.

"I have to go to work for a bit. Do you want to come or stay with Pask and Tayn?" He asked.

He thought about that for a moment, not too sure about staying with the other two males. He didn't exactly know them at all and they hadn't been the nicest.

"You wouldn't get in the way if you want to come, it's a desk job, of sorts." Larro said.

Oh, well, if I wouldn't bother him.

"Okay. Can I come with you?" He asked.

Arron saw him smile faintly and returned it with one of his own.

"Of course. Let's just get this stuff dropped off, take a quick shower, and then get dressed to go?" He said.

"Okay."

They pulled up outside of his apartment a minute later and Arron helped him bring in the excessive amount of bags. Afterward, Larro sent him off to shower so he quickly pulled out an outfit and headed to the bathroom.

He took his time washing, enjoying the hot water a lot. The only thing that really made him move from beneath it several minutes later was the smell of sausage and bacon cooking. The scents had a tight knot coiling in his stomach, making him blink back tears. His father used to always make him a big breakfast when they spent time together on his rare days off.

Larro was just about to flip another pancake in one of the pans he had going when he felt arms wrap around his waist and damp hair press against his back. He quickly got the pancake flipped so that it wouldn't burn, then turned off the stove and reached down to take Arron's hands. The sniffles coming from him were quiet but easily audible to his sensitive hearing.

"What's wrong, little Spots?" He asked gently as his thumbs rubbed along the back of Arron's fingers.

It took the kid a few more sniffles and a mew before he finally managed to whisper out something that nearly broke Larro's heart.

"I'm sorry... I just, really miss my dad."

Larro's thoughts instantly went to Marcus, but then changed to the other name on the kid's microchip. That must have been the man he was talking about. His biological mother. He'd sneaked a look at the chart the doctor had brought with him that had the two names registered on it and remembered seeing that the man had only died just recently in a car crash.

Being the spur of the moment mutt that he took himself for, Larro smiled softly and carefully gathered Arron up in his arms for a strong hug.

"I guess I'll just have to take over for a bit, if that's okay." He said, holding his breath after the words left his mouth.

Initially, Arron didn't respond, which had Larro a bit worried. When he heard a quiet rumble coming from the kid a minute later, he couldn't help but grin.

That's a strong purr you've got, kiddo.

When he finally calmed down a bit, Larro set him up on the counter and handed him a plate full of food. Arron tried to wipe away the evidence that he'd been crying, but Larro just rustled his soft hair and got himself some food, then hopped up next to him.